Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

The grey area of the law

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:23 PM
SOB1999JIMMY is on a distinguished road
Default The grey area of the law

I was recently informed that it is in fact against federal law to remove your catalatic converter but what about a non highway off-road only truck??? or does this law cover all vehicles in all instances??? Any opinions or information is appreciated as for me and my LIL JIMMY im gonna replace the bad one with the cheapest one out there since they aparently dont robb much power like the older ones did. Hell I might even get one of them fancy high flow ones ...

Old 06-03-2012, 09:37 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

from what i understand if your vehicle came with one then it has to have one.

my 95 stang had 4 cats on it...all very small (2 were prob pre cats). so i replaced them with two updated high flow 2.5" cats...one for each side of the dual pipes i fabbed up....sound good to me and when you look thru them you can clearly see out the other end.

i would just get a new one of your choice and be done with it. honestly by the time your done monkeying around trying to figure out a way to get around the cat you could have a decent one on there and no system issues like check lights and such.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:06 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Its illegal to not have cats? even in states that do not require emission checks? hmm, learn something new every day I guess.
So if i were to bring my jimmy to an exhaust shop to get the exhaust done, they would have to put a cat on? since it does not have one now.

Last edited by richphotos; 06-04-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:25 PM

thats what the administrator told me when he closed my thread on removing mine you can check it out its CAT DELETE PROS VS CONS

Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

That is something I never knew, That is why i love this site, Learn something new every day, Very interesting bit of info.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:47 AM
Beginning Member
paulrees866 is on a distinguished road

My state doesn't have inspections. So a lot of vehicles around here don't have the cats. My truck is a thieft recovery vehicle. The cat was cut off when stolen. I never put on back on. I just ran duals dumping before rear tires and called it good enough. Loud in the truck. Will have too redo with quality mufflers. The cheap ones or too loud for me anymore

Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Off-road only vehicles that never touch DOT roads, are not registered, etc do not have to comply with EPA regulations to a certain point.

Even if your state does not have inspections, tailpipe emissions checks, etc, it is still against federal law to remove emissions equipment from your vehicle. That is besides the point that most of the emissions equipment on modern vehicles doesn't really hinder performance as much as doubters make it out to. A universal high-flow catalytic converter is cheap and outperforms the stock converter in terms of flow and tailpipe emissions.

As far as a vehicle being a theft recovery... A universal catalytic converter is only $50 plus another $50 max to have it put on. Be responsible. Besides, dumping ahead of the rear axle is likely illegal in your area anyway given the configuration of your truck. Most locales have a requirement that the exhaust must exit behind the passenger compartment or out the side behind the rear axle. On an SUV, the passenger compartment extends all the way to the back hatch. There is real safety concern behind this requirement though. Exhaust gasses can be reintroduced to the passenger compartment with exhaust that exits under the vehicle. Just something to be mindful of.

Do stupid things with your truck and expect to be slapped with fines. I think that goes without saying.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:11 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by richphotos
Its illegal to not have cats? even in states that do not require emission checks? hmm, learn something new every day I guess.
So if i were to bring my jimmy to an exhaust shop to get the exhaust done, they would have to put a cat on? since it does not have one now.
years ago i needed new exhaust donuts put a k5 blazer i had, i dropped it of to have the work done, they called me up like a hour ago and said to come get it, they cant work on it due to having no cats on it.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:22 PM
war00 is on a distinguished road

yup here in canada you can be fined up to and over $10,000 for messin with emissions systems and they do road side inspections every once in awhile and they usually get one or 2 cars that dont comply

Old 06-20-2012, 06:54 PM

Funny story my brother was having the same issue with his cat that I was. The rattle inside like I was falling apart inside. He took it to a shop to have it fixed along with some other minor things and when he picked it up we went for a ride to see how it drove. The exhaust note was a lot deeper sounding I noticed and when I got under to check out the new "muffler" they installed. Witch is what they said was wrong with it all they did was removed his cat and put a price off pipe to his old muffler and charged him 240$ needless to say he was pissed and told them he will not pay for any of the work.

Quick Reply: The grey area of the law