Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

guttin cat on 2001 4.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Beginning Member
offroadwnc is on a distinguished road
Default guttin cat on 2001 4.3

just wondering how i might go about gutting the cat without setting off the oxygen sensor. I live in NC so we have really strict emmissions and yearly inspections.

Also which muffler should i go with for the straight pipe/ wanna-be v8 sound? lol im thinkin super 44. Also i saw this really cool short muffler that just turned down out of the body and in front of the tire. do these sound good? thanks for the input yall

Old 09-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Nathan1991 is on a distinguished road

I was also wondering if anyone on the forum has just gutted their cat, it seems like alot less work then replacing/removing it
Im running the super 44 right now offroadwnc, and i have to say its not exactly what I wantet, just because i still have the stock cat and pre cat in my exhaust system, but from sound clips ive heard of blazers without the cats and super 44 sounds pretty damn good.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:19 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

There's no real way to gut a cat without tripping the sensor, unless you get a PCM tune to delete that sensor. Super 40's have that V8 rumble at idle, but I've yet to hear a muffler make the 4.3 sound like a V8 at WOT, the fact of the matter is, a V6 will never sound like a V8.

Another thing is, if you have strict emissions testing, don't touch your cat because you'll never pass the test. It's also illegal. I'm sure a moderator will come around and close this thread off.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:10 PM

I have no idea how strict it is in alberta, im guess not very, its alberta after all everyone already hates us for our oil industry emission and exploitation

Old 09-26-2009, 09:21 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

You realize that tampering with the cat is a federal offense...

Old 09-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Beginning Member
offroadwnc is on a distinguished road

oh really? lol in that case half my county oughta be in jail ok so i guess bad question lol. so maybe if i just bought one of these mufflers it ought to sound ok right? http://www.speedwaymotors.com/RS/SR/...37813516_L.jpg
maybe not that one but one like it

Old 09-26-2009, 10:40 PM

Yes really.

I've never heard of hushpower, but check out youtube. They got some exhaust vids of 4.3 Blazers.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by okvortec
You realize that tampering with the cat is a federal offense...
everywhere?

Old 09-26-2009, 11:36 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by oktain
There's no real way to gut a cat without tripping the sensor, unless you get a PCM tune to delete that sensor. Super 40's have that V8 rumble at idle, but I've yet to hear a muffler make the 4.3 sound like a V8 at WOT, the fact of the matter is, a V6 will never sound like a V8.

Another thing is, if you have strict emissions testing, don't touch your cat because you'll never pass the test. It's also illegal. I'm sure a moderator will come around and close this thread off.
absolutely right oktain. when our etesting started here in the Greater Toronto Area in 1999, then spread throughout the rest of Ontario over the next 3 years, i was living outside the first phase area of the program. when it was implemented in my area, i had my friend "run it through for fun" @ the dealership where he worked, without telling him what i had done. it failed so bad, he just looked @ the readout and told me to fix the cat. the fines aren't worth it, and i was actually burning more fuel without it, but i did have more power.

Originally Posted by Nathan1991
I have no idea how strict it is in alberta, im guess not very, its alberta after all everyone already hates us for our oil industry emission and exploitation
wait a minute........you live in Calgary, but you have no idea what the emmission standards are? do you even drive??

Old 09-26-2009, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan1991
everywhere?
I can't speak for anyone outside of the U.S., but in here. yes, everywhere.

Quick Reply: guttin cat on 2001 4.3