Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

having tail pipe out infront of rear tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 03:43 PM
big scott is on a distinguished road
Default having tail pipe out infront of rear tires?

hi guys, i have an 2door 88 s15 jimmy and im replaceing everything from the y-pipe back and was thinking of putting the pipe out the side in front of the rear wheels, anybody els do this?

i ordered a high flow cat that shorter then stock so i sould have enuff room to exit the pipe out the side.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:47 PM
LoneWolf is on a distinguished road

I was always told the quicker the exhaust gasses get to clean air, you build HP, at least thats what all the old hot rodders I know told me.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:58 PM

heres a pic of the truck..

Old 07-13-2010, 06:10 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

You are good to go because you don't have a rear vent window. As long as the exhaust won't get into the passenger compartment you are in the clear.

DO EET!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:33 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure that it is legal in your area/state to do this mod to the exhaust. I was told the exhaust on SUVs and cars had to exit behind the rear wheels outside the body lines of the vehicle. I know that's how it is here in WV. If all else fails just check with a muffler shop and see what they say.

Personally I just cut mine off level with the body in the factory spot but I want to do a exhaust cut out right behind the muffler, like running turndowns, but it'll pass inspections.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:38 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LoneWolf
I was always told the quicker the exhaust gasses get to clean air, you build HP, at least thats what all the old hot rodders I know told me.
I have heard this a few times before but, does anyone have any actual proof of it making a difference?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:41 AM
LoneWolf is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 84BlazerS10
I have heard this a few times before but, does anyone have any actual proof of it making a difference?
Honestly I don't know, but it seems that way just cuz in drag racing alot of people just stop at the headers. But I haven't seen sort of dyno results. But I would beleive it. It may not at much but I know you'll get a little more then full length pipes. Kinda the same as equal length headers, I think.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:34 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by big scott
hi guys, i have an 2door 88 s15 jimmy and im replaceing everything from the y-pipe back and was thinking of putting the pipe out the side in front of the rear wheels, anybody els do this?
sure did.

check out Curtis' (ABN31B) build thread Project: Ripcord

i'm not exactly sure where in there he did it, but i know he did it with a Super 40 Flowmaster & a high flow cat.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:39 AM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

BTW Big Scott, was that cowl hood custom made? Looks like the three "ridges" like the factory hood has arn't there, but it might be the way the pic looks. I've always wanted a 2 inch cowl hood, 4 inch is a wee bit much for me, but hell more air flow can't hurt anything!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:35 AM

whats up guys,

ya that is a custom maid hood. i did it myself and looks like **** it needs to be smoothed out and painted and its 6in high.

the shorter the exaust the better the flow so ya you can gain more power.

ya i new about if my side rear window opened up i could not have the pipe exit there and its no big beal if its not legal i have to take the truck and get it sniffed in a mouth and thay will let me no. ill just use a band clamp at the exit pipe just incase i have to pull it and install a stock tail pipe. im just trying to save money and gain a little more power. right now im at about 270hp and more is good.

so ill have a full race exaust,, i got a nice high flow cat,, headers,, flowmasters 40 muffler with a pipe going right out the side. i wish i could have true duel exaust but not legal if your car/truck cam with a single exaust/cat.

Quick Reply: having tail pipe out infront of rear tires?