Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Hearing alot about glasspacks.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Kai
Kai is on a distinguished road
Default Hearing alot about glasspacks.

I don't need a whole new exhaust but I want my Blazer to be louder and was wondering if putting a cherrybomb glasspack would make it louder. If that won't what will? (Besides replacing the whole exhaust).

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:14 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

putting any aftermarket muffler will make it louder, flowmaster, thrush, magnaflow, dynomax, ect... most people get the flowmaster 40 or super 44 series sounds the best with the 4.3. check youtube for different exhaust setups and see what you like the best. Don't get a muffler just because you want it louder that gets annoying after a while you want one that sounds good and is louder at the same time

Last edited by Benedict1337; 09-25-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Kai

Alright I will do some research and thank you for your help I'll look into all of them.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:45 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i went with a cherry bomb turbo and upped pipes to 2.5 after the cat. i love the new sound. cat - muffler - turndown. thats all thats there now.

flange mod

the whole deal

installed.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Kai

I'm still thinking about a glasspack but, the glass pack reduces back pressure and I'm not sure if it will hurt the performance of my blazer (2000 4x4 4dr lt). Do you think it will?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:38 PM
BF Veteran

back pressure is a myth, its not real. I drove my truck without a muffler for 1/2 a year and it ran fine

Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Kai

Eh I'm still kind of edgy about sticking one on and losing hp or something. So I might go with a Series 40 flowmaster. But I like the way the glasspack sounds. Also since glass packs are so cheap I feel like because it is so cheap something will go wrong or like I said my performance will decrease or something along those lines.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran

the only way of loosing or gaining power in an exhaust system is if you replace everything, headers, high flow cat, performance exhaust 3" pipes the whole way back. without that there is no gains or looses that are noticeable

Old 09-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Kai

Thats true. Never though about it that way. Glasspacks are like $22 at autozone (and they sound awsome well I think so). But, why are they so cheap?

Old 10-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Trip.. is on a distinguished road

Because there is nothing in them. Just some slots and cheap mesh. The design has been around for 50+ years so the design has paid for itself many times over.

Think about a Flowmaster 40 series. Open one up and there is only a few metal flaps welded in there. Not much too them, but they are made of better materials that wont rust out in 2 years like the glass pack.
Plus the Flowmasters are still a relatively new design and hasn't quite paid off yet. R&D is extremely expensive...

When they come up with a better design, the 40 series will drop in price because everyone wants the newest thing.

If you like the wizz-pop sound of the cherry bomb, then go buy yourself a cherry bomb and have fun wizz-popping around town! You will gain extra noise, but doubtfully any substantial power.

Changing the muffler will not harm your engine in any way, if anything it will help free up a little extra high-RPM power.

Or hell save yourself 20 bucks and put in a straight piece of pipe, it sounds about the same...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hearing alot about glasspacks.