Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/)
-   -   holes in muffler? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/holes-muffler-23215/)

SmokeU 09-12-2008 05:06 PM

holes in muffler?

I have heard of people at my school drilling holes into there muffler to make it a little more loud with out having to change anything...

does that work or did they just drill holes in there mufflers for nothing?

there are also a few that have there mufflers chopped of completley... but that's illegal so I wont even go there

swartlkk 09-12-2008 06:20 PM

RE: holes in muffler?

It will make it louder for sure. Make it sound better... Well, I guess that is up to opinion.

SmokeU 09-13-2008 01:26 PM

was thinking those holes would be a good place for water to go and start rusting it out

SilverTalon 09-14-2008 07:16 PM

Good sounding mufflers are cheap and getting them installed is pretty cheap as well. The classic "Cherry Bomb" will run you about $20 if you like the tinny-pop sound. The "Cherry Bomb Welded" will set you back about $40 and sounds kinda like a FlowMaster 40 series at about half the cost. Getting on welded on will run you about $25-40 depending on where you go.

If you want it to sound better, just replace the muffler.

bigboyblazer 09-15-2008 08:38 PM

I agree with SliverTalon. Replacing the muffler is the better way 2 go. If I'm not mistaken, drilling holes in your muffler will cause you to burn more gas as well. You would be more satisfied with replacing you muffler.

djdrew010 09-15-2008 09:21 PM

oh the old swiss cheese trick! IMO it sounds like ****, I would rather put a new muffler on.

SmokeU 09-16-2008 02:00 PM

the mufflers and hangers are welded onto the pipe

so yeah I think a new muffler is the way to go as well :D

thanks allot

SmokeU 09-18-2008 10:22 PM

ORIGINAL: bigboyblazer

I agree with SliverTalon. Replacing the muffler is the better way 2 go. If I'm not mistaken, drilling holes in your muffler will cause you to burn more gas as well. You would be more satisfied with replacing you muffler.
but how would drilling holes make me burn more gas?

because the exhaust is escaping faster?

WolfPack 09-19-2008 02:37 AM

Another vote for new muffler. You'll just sound like you have a hole in your exhaust....not like you've got a bigger engine. The low-budgeted vtec crowd tends to be the most frequent use of the swiss cheese trick...or maybe they just have crappy mufflers;)

portcqb 09-19-2008 08:30 AM

Not sure about your states inspection law, but even a pinhole causes failure for us. I think he meant it would take more gas due to the slight increase in airflow which would allow the computer to dump more fuel through the engine. It would be very minor along with the hp gain.