Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

holes in muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:06 PM
SmokeU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default holes in muffler?

I have heard of people at my school drilling holes into there muffler to make it a little more loud with out having to change anything...

does that work or did they just drill holes in there mufflers for nothing?

there are also a few that have there mufflers chopped of completley... but that's illegal so I wont even go there

Old 09-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: holes in muffler?

It will make it louder for sure. Make it sound better... Well, I guess that is up to opinion.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:26 PM

was thinking those holes would be a good place for water to go and start rusting it out

Old 09-14-2008, 07:16 PM
SilverTalon is an unknown quantity at this point

Good sounding mufflers are cheap and getting them installed is pretty cheap as well. The classic "Cherry Bomb" will run you about $20 if you like the tinny-pop sound. The "Cherry Bomb Welded" will set you back about $40 and sounds kinda like a FlowMaster 40 series at about half the cost. Getting on welded on will run you about $25-40 depending on where you go.

If you want it to sound better, just replace the muffler.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Beginning Member
bigboyblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with SliverTalon. Replacing the muffler is the better way 2 go. If I'm not mistaken, drilling holes in your muffler will cause you to burn more gas as well. You would be more satisfied with replacing you muffler.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:21 PM
djdrew010 is an unknown quantity at this point

oh the old swiss cheese trick! IMO it sounds like ****, I would rather put a new muffler on.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:00 PM

the mufflers and hangers are welded onto the pipe

so yeah I think a new muffler is the way to go as well

thanks allot

Old 09-18-2008, 10:22 PM

ORIGINAL: bigboyblazer

I agree with SliverTalon. Replacing the muffler is the better way 2 go. If I'm not mistaken, drilling holes in your muffler will cause you to burn more gas as well. You would be more satisfied with replacing you muffler.
but how would drilling holes make me burn more gas?

because the exhaust is escaping faster?

Old 09-19-2008, 02:37 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Another vote for new muffler. You'll just sound like you have a hole in your exhaust....not like you've got a bigger engine. The low-budgeted vtec crowd tends to be the most frequent use of the swiss cheese trick...or maybe they just have crappy mufflers

Old 09-19-2008, 08:30 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure about your states inspection law, but even a pinhole causes failure for us. I think he meant it would take more gas due to the slight increase in airflow which would allow the computer to dump more fuel through the engine. It would be very minor along with the hp gain.

Quick Reply: holes in muffler?