Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Illegal Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 02:56 AM
fuzzball447 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Illegal Exhaust?

So I have a CAI and I was thinking about getting a cat-back set up put in too. However, when I went to get a quote from a local shop, the guy (who also happened to own the place) said that the police have been writing tickets for aftermarket exhausts making too much noise. He also quoted me $225 for a single 2.5" pipe to a magnaflow. He also said he could tuck the tip just under the bumper so it wasn't too conspicuous.
1. Anyone living in CO with experience on these laws?
2. Is that a good price?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Illegal Exhaust?

That sucks! I just got popped a couple weeks ago in my town for a "loud" exhaust. I only have a cheap turbo muffler that sounds like a cherrybomb turbo. Not "loud", but a nice tone. Anyways, I guess here in Ma, they passed a law that it's illegal to have any exhaust louder than stock. I only got a verbal waring, but f it, I'm keeping it on. One of the cops in my town has a Flowmaster 2 chamber dual exhaust on his Sierra. Go figure...
$225 doesn't sound like a bad price.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Price sounds pretty good.

As far as noise laws go, they suck! Around me, it is completely up to the cop as to if/when he/she'll write you the ticket. Which is **** poor if you ask me. Write the law such that it requires XXdB at YYft from the vehicle in any direction and make them get a decibel meter and prove that it is too loud.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Lee
Lee is an unknown quantity at this point

The cops down here in Florida are lenient regarding the loudness. My friend's got a Pontiac Trans Am Firehawk with a cut-out and he roars past 'em and they don't do anything. But they'll pull him over for a loud sound system. Go figure.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:00 PM
PittBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

actually nothing is illegal in regards to inspection and emissions(for us city folk) as long as it is a welded system it will pass both. For sound that just does not make any logically reasoning in my book and my brother in law is a cop.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:17 PM

I figured it would be a good idea to tuck it under the bumper because if the sound laws are as vague as they seem that whole "out of sight, out of mind" theory should work. Thanks for the input, I think I'm gonna jump on that exhaust!!

can't wait..

Old 02-26-2007, 06:52 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Lee

The cops down here in Florida are lenient regarding the loudness. My friend's got a Pontiac Trans Am Firehawk with a cut-out and he roars past 'em and they don't do anything. But they'll pull him over for a loud sound system. Go figure.
Same thing happened to me believe it or not.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:40 PM
speeddemon560 is an unknown quantity at this point

$225 isn't bad.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:57 AM
2000BlazerSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Only time I got stopped on exhuast is when I stood on my 66 Vette with sidemounts. This was back in 1967. Trooper said it was illigal. I said it was a stock factory exhaust. He said it was for "off road" use. I said "what did you expect them to call it, super noisy loud exhaust?". I said it was a stock factory exhaust so write me and we'll go to court. So he wrote me for an illigal lane change. If you had side mounts on your Corvette back in the day you announced to the world where you were and what you were doing everytime you nailed it. It was like "calling all cops, calling all cops".

I bought a $50 dollar Flowmaster from my speed shop and took it to my muffler guy. He charged me $75 to install it with 2 and a 1/2 pipe. Buy the muffler and take it to a few muffler shops, $225 is too much in my opinion. DynoMax Super Turbos sound good and won't break the bank. And you only need one anyway.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:49 AM

67'?
no comment ...
j/k

so you reccomend just getting the muffler elsewhere? I was hoping for a magnaflow and they go over $100 just by themselves... I also went to another exhaust shop today and he quoted me $240 with a flowmaster 40. I'm thinkin that for my location and for what everyone else has been saying that I should just stick to the magnaflow and the $225. Thanks for the input though. It's all really appreciated.

Quick Reply: Illegal Exhaust?