Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

intake and exhaust

Old 03-28-2007, 10:56 PM
hockeykid15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default intake and exhaust

i have a 97 4 door ls with the 4.3. i am looking to get a cat-back exhaust and a cold air intake for it. i have been looking at the AEM brute force CAI and a dynomax exhaust i found in the jegs catolog. will these two work well together? are there better options on the market?

Old 03-29-2007, 08:18 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: intake and exhaust

dynomax is not all its cut out to be. Take it to a muffler shop and have a flowmaster forty put on, and get the 2.5inch pipe from the muffler back. This will cost about 170 bucks w/o tip and if you want a good tip will cost around 210. My CAI is a Spectre, but there is littledifference between KN, Airaid, AEM or Spectre. What counts is insularity and filter length.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:56 PM

thanks for the input. which FM 40 should i get? is one better than another? as for the CAI what dimensions should i be looking for? are there intakes that are better insulated? perform better? thanks again

Old 03-29-2007, 10:13 PM
BF Veteran

Go SUPER! my FM is a regular 40 and it sounds good. make sure you get a deep exhaust tip with it too, if you don't it won't shape into a true, deep flow tone.
As for the intakes, as long as you have a method of cooling it, plastic pipe is ok. My Blazer has the plastic pipe, but it also has a scoop underneath that forces cool air into the filter and boosts airflow rate. Airaid, some KN, and some AEM have a box that the filter is in that seperates it from the engine compartment and pulls air from in front of the radiator or from behind the headlight. The spectre system is by far the cheapest and has the largest filter at 11.5 inches. but you have to decide what peices you need before you put it in. Here is a picture of my Spectre system: http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/100_0224.jpg

Old 03-29-2007, 10:22 PM

thanks for the pic. it looks good in there. did you install the scoop yourself? is that something i can buy in addition to the intake? or do i have to figure out how to get air up there some other way?

Old 03-29-2007, 10:29 PM
BF Veteran

I used materials from our Heating and Air Conditioning shop,3in. foil fan duct, and adryer cap painted to match my bumper. + Imade it where it doesn't look so obtrusive. The end of the duct plugs right end to the end of the cone filter.

I installed everything myself. took less than an hour.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:51 PM
BF Veteran

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/100_0229.jpgscoop
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/100_0231.jpgduct
you can buy the duct at AutoZone and also a scoop. but it will cost an additional 40 at least

Old 03-29-2007, 10:52 PM

great! thanks for the help. if you dont mind me asking... what did you pay for your intake and is there a place that you would recomend going to buy it?

Old 03-29-2007, 11:07 PM
BF Veteran

AutoZone. Don't get what they recommend, get a 40degree elbow, a 90 degree elbow, a coupler for the end of the filter, a 11.5inch cone filter, a 3' to 3' coupler with the hose clamps,a duct, and the scoop. All for around 100 US dollarsor about 150 Canadian dollars.
Connect40 degree elbow to mass airflow sensor with the 3' coupler, you'll have to strech it a little. connect the filter to the 40 elbow, use the other coupler to attach the 90 degree elbow to the other end of the filter, tie the duct onto the 90 dgree elbow, run the duct out and around the radiator overflow line, pull the duct through the inner fender wall, attach the other end of the duct to the scoop and fasten the scoop to the frame.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 PM

thanks is this intake any good?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...#CommunityTabs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: intake and exhaust