Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:48 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Cool Intake Question

I am thinking about getting either a cold air intake or a short ram. I've had a cold air on another vehicle and I like them better.

The dust and water protection on most intakes seems a little bit bad. So what I wanted to do was buy a cold air intake system and either build a sealed box to go around the intake or use the factory box somehow to prevent water from getting in.

Can anyone help me with this system? Anyone have a similar system?

I see volant has a sealed cai system but I'm not looking to spend $250. That is ridiculous.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

What i've done in the past, and in fact just did on my brother's 95 Accord V6 is just remove all the intake ducting forward the airbox, so that it pulls air straight into the box, the air doesn't have to travel through all sorts of tubing and resonators, because being a Honda it has tons of tubes for silencing the air, which is dumb because it made it no louder when I removed all that.

Anyways that works and you can run a pipe like PVC or similar down like a CAI kit would do, or leave the box open since it seems that would allow less stuff like water and mud to enter in if there are no pipes leading into it. Then you can buy a highflow filter like a Spectre for more flow.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Cool .

Ok yea, I'll look in to that. PVC pipe holds up to high temps I'm guessing? I'm still thinking of a creative way to do this lol. But thanks for the idea.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

It's not hot enough under the hood to damage PVC, unless it's touching the manifolds or something but it would be routed far from those. It wouldn't be much of a cold air intake if it were touching the exhaust lol.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Cool .

Originally Posted by 88Vic
It's not hot enough under the hood to damage PVC, unless it's touching the manifolds or something but it would be routed far from those. It wouldn't be much of a cold air intake if it were touching the exhaust lol.
Lol, okay. I'll look in to it.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Beginning Member
NuitariFD is on a distinguished road

I was thinking of just taking the airbox out and putting a spectre cone in its spot, any ideas? i wanna go offroading with the truck so would that limit me some how or is it high enough up that it would even affect it unless i submerged the truck up to it.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Starting Member
9Blazer6 is on a distinguished road

spend the money and get a k&n or Volant. I did a cheapo system just replacing the box with a cone and it did nothing. Probably made it worse because there was no head sheild around it. If your going to do it. Buy a cheap system off ebay or advanced auto and build your own head sheild out of sheetmetal, get a clear plexiglass top so you can see the cone if you want.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Beginning Member
NuitariFD is on a distinguished road

well i know what you mean about building a good one, i'm more worried about 4X4ing with a cone intake on it. but now that i think about it, i would have to be like almost 4 feet deep in water to get to the intake.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Starting Member
9Blazer6 is on a distinguished road

yeah i dont think you have much to worry about there unless you plan on getting into some deep stuff. If thats the case just go build a snorkel!

Old 07-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road

You shouldn't have anything to worry about unless you plan on going swimming. puddles a foot deep shouldn't be any problem. So i would just go with a regular CAI and the one i have along with many others on the forum is Spectra. its a GREAT system for a even better price. You can get it for under $100! Spectre CAI thread

If you decide to go the snorkle direction, there are a couple members that have them installed.
Through the hood like pj5454302, his is made with PVC and stock intake piping.

OR

Through the fender like Steinbruchsoldat take a look at his build thread here he used PVC foam and Fiberglass for a more finished look. And ran it through a slightly modified stock intake box.

Quick Reply: Intake Question