Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

low temp & tanny cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:47 PM
gohan69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default low temp & tanny cooler?

Would a low temp thermostat be good on blazers and how about a tranny cooler just wondering if they make them run better or worse?

Old 09-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Verno will become famous soon enough
Default RE: low temp & tanny cooler?

Tranny cooler will definatly help, a cooler t-stat could be of good value, Coolness = HP.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:23 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not even going to go into my reasons for staying with OEM thermos. Here's what www.radiatorinfo.comsays:
"If the thermostat needs to be replaced, install one with the same temperature rating as the original. Most cars and light trucks since 1971 require thermostats with 192- or 195-degree ratings. Using a cooler thermostat (160 or 180) in an attempt to "cure" a tendency to overheat can increase fuel and oil consumption, ring wear and emissions. On newer vehicles with computerized engine controls, the wrong thermostat can prevent the computer system from going into closed loop resulting in major performance and emission problems if the engine fails to reach its normal operating temperature."
I doubt that you will be able to notice any performance improvement going with cooler thermostats.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Verno will become famous soon enough

See, this place amazes me, ya learn sumthin new everyday.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention that the use of a colder t-stat on any '96+ will result in a CEL if it is too cold. But yes, too cold will result in higher fuel consumption as the PCM richens the fuel mixture to try to raise the engine temperature.

Now if you had your PCM editted to compensate, then you would get the best of both worlds. But you have to choose a good programming shop that knows what they are doing with these 4.3L engines. Bad things can result from poor programming if the typical methods are taken.

And I agree on the tranny cooler!

Old 09-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Starting Member
BlazerSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it possible to hook a tranny cooler to a 5-speed? Ive only seen them on auto trannys.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't necessary to put a cooler on a manual transmission as the only thing that the tranny oil is doing is lubricating the bearings and gears. In an automatic transmission, the oil is applying pistons, acting as a fluid coupling in the torque converter, and absorbing heat from the various bands & clutch packs during the operation of the transmission. This is why they require a cooler.

Formanual transmission, I recommend a good synthetic gear lube and you won't have any troubles. Heck, my grandpa's old '89 S10 never had its gear oil changed in the 235k miles it was with us!!! A 2.8L TBI motor isn't that gutless with a 5spd pickup!

Old 09-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Starting Member
BlazerSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Kyle. This I kind of figured as muchabout the bands and torque converter clutch, however my knowledge of trannys is subpar and that's saying a lot. I agree with you on the 2.8 with the 5-Speeds. I think I need to just give in and try to install that Hurst Shifter I have been eyeing. My only complaint on my truck is that the 'throws' aka shifts are too long. I feel like I am driving a friggin 18wheeler sometimes.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:41 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I never used a truck stick shift that didn't feel like that.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:46 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Drive a 5 speed Canyon or Colorado, and they won't feel like that, lol.

It could be just from driving all the 1 tons and 3/4 tons at work, but the Blazer doesn't seem to have all that long of a throw...

Quick Reply: low temp & tanny cooler?