Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

more power

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:36 PM
cameraman12 is on a distinguished road
Default more power

I'm looking for a way to try to get some more horse power out of my 99 blazer. I work for a guide service and hall around a 4x8x6 trailer alot and the mountains of PA are getting to me. Any advice on a few small things i could do to try to get some more horse power

Old 07-07-2009, 05:41 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

a cold air intake, cat back exhaust, and a tune are the most common power upgrades.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:44 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

I was deffintally going to say a free flowing exhaust and a cold air intake, Deffintally helped me out alot and can deffintally feel a big difference in power and throttle response. I cant say any hp numbers because i never had the truck on a dyno but I can say you feel a difference and will deffintally notice, and have the sweet sound of an intake and exhaust :-)

Old 07-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Big Keith is on a distinguished road

I recommend could air intake, cat back exhaust, & a tune up with quality parts. I have a 98 Blazer ZR2 with both & you definitely get more power & sounds great. If you are towing I highly recommend a transmission cooler

Old 10-06-2009, 06:47 PM
figgler is on a distinguished road

I would also try a throttle body spacer and put on electric fans, less drag on the motor equals more hp.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Starting Member
blazer blaze13 is an unknown quantity at this point

comp cams makes a nice couple of camshafts and lifter setups if you really wanna get some power. also i think its edelbrock that makes a nice aluminum intake manifold for the 4.3L. those mods combined with the others stated above will give you quite the power gain.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Starting Member
1baddblazer is on a distinguished road

i have hypertech programming, throttle body spacer, cold air intake NOW lol thanks to the members here on the forum, exhaust, removed restrictor plate from throttle body...etc, also have drivetrain work done...,if ur not wanting to spend a lot of money, exhaust, cold air, throttle spacer, restrictor plate removed or made smaller

Old 12-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

Correct me if I'm wrong, the restrictor plate is that big tumor on the back of the butterfly held on by two rivets so it can only ever open half way, correct? Does that screw with the shift points a whole lot? When removing that, do you have to put something in place of the holes left by the rivets?

Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-02-2009, 10:46 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by figgler
I would also try a throttle body spacer and put on electric fans, less drag on the motor equals more hp.
Its been proven time and time again that thottle body spacers on our motors arent worth the money at all. There is practically no gains.

Me ive been wanting to do headers and an upgraded cam to my truck. Probally more of a low end cam, almost a towing cam honestly and that would be more benficial due to the fact that your are towing.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

If you have one with a computer, good luck. I had a mechanic tell me that there really isn't much you can do with the cam that won't upset the computer. CompCams only has two cams different from the stock (last time I checked). I would try elsewhere on this motor, or do a 350 / 4L80E swap if you're no into kidding around.

Regards,

Thomas

Quick Reply: more power