Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Muffler Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:31 AM
JRP22 is on a distinguished road
Default Muffler Install

Okay so im looking to get a muffler. and I would like to install it my self without welding it in case i want to put the stock muffler back on at some point. whats the best way to do this because i know the muffler inlet and outlets are 2.5 inches. if anyone could post pics of what they did maybe, that would be cool. it doesnt have to come out the tail pipe i can just put an elbow on the end and point it at the ground

Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Beginning Member
jwalker1992 is on a distinguished road

well what i would say would be best is if you dont mind spending a little cash go to a junk yard and get another stock muffler. i got mine for 15 bucks the whole thing from cat back theres a triangle exaust flange with 15mm nunts holding it on and three 1/2 bolts holding the exaust pipe up. after you get this off cut the stock muffler out. leaving just the pipe take the stock exaust pipe and weld your new muffler in the middle where you cut the old one out and now you have a derect fit after market muffler. i hope you understand the way i explained it. lol

Old 08-26-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by jwalker1992
well what i would say would be best is if you dont mind spending a little cash go to a junk yard and get another stock muffler. i got mine for 15 bucks the whole thing from cat back theres a triangle exaust flange with 15mm nunts holding it on and three 1/2 bolts holding the exaust pipe up. after you get this off cut the stock muffler out. leaving just the pipe take the stock exaust pipe and weld your new muffler in the middle where you cut the old one out and now you have a derect fit after market muffler. i hope you understand the way i explained it. lol
Yeah i understand this helps quite a bit. what i did was get a extended piece from an older s10 with the same flange but a longer piece of pipe after it. ill connect the muffler to that long piece and go straight down or out the tail pipe with it. im thinking a flowmaster 40 or a thrush welded or something. i dont want it to be too loud. just wanna hear it. and i want it to sound deep but most of them ive heard on here do sound good. except straight piped, that would be too much for me after a while haha

Old 08-26-2012, 12:54 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure about the laws around you but here the exhaust has to be exited beyond the body of the vehicle. It can't just have a turn down under the truck unless it's past the passenger compartment.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rottidog
I'm not sure about the laws around you but here the exhaust has to be exited beyond the body of the vehicle. It can't just have a turn down under the truck unless it's past the passenger compartment.
Yeah i think youre right one that one. i still havent touched it yet. im draining my coolant and putting new stuff in tomorrow, any threads you recommend on here for tips for doing that by any chance?