Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Need help with Exhaust system selection

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Beginning Member
jmw_man is on a distinguished road
Default Need help with Exhaust system selection

I posted on someone else's thread but figured I should start my own.

I need to replace my catalytic converter. I figured I might as well do the exhaust system too.

I am on a budget so I was looking at Flowmaster. I spoke to a gentleman from Flowmaster and expressed my desire and he recommended the 50 series Delta Flow muffler (not too much sound but all the performance gain)

Unfortunately, after some looking around, I learned that Flowmaster doesn't have the piping after the exhaust. The existing muffler has an offset inlet and centered outlet. The outlet and piping after the muffler is roughly a 2" diameter but the inlet has a 2.5" diameter. I thought this was weird since all the Flowmaster mufflers I saw had equal inlet and outlet diameters. SO... this leads me to believe that I need to find the 2.5" piping after the muffler. I was hoping to avoid any kind of welding and just simply have the muffler already attached to the piping.

My needs:
high flow catalytic converter
muffler with 2.5" offset inlet and 2.5" centered outlet (want little sound but good performance)
2.5" piping after muffler
2.5" piping between muffler and cat

What do yall suggest?

Old 11-06-2011, 11:00 AM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road

IMO, look into Magnaflow (for both). Flowmasters are nice, but they are thrashy sounding. My Magnaflow is subdued until I hammer the throttle. That makes driving much easier! I decided on Magnaflow after seeing MANY youtube videos about the battle between Blazer owners and their flowmasters / magnaflows; and while riding in a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Flowmaster. It was annoying, and my ears rang after the ride! Dont get me wrong, it sounded FN' AWESOME, but yeah...it was fun for the trip, not for me though.

I went to Amazon.com for my exhaust purchases. I believe I got my Magnaflow high-flow cat and Magnaflow exhaust for a whopping $120ish, with free shipping (they had a sale at the time on the cat/muffler combo). The only downside to this combo is that you need to have the cat welded in place! It is a high-flow UNIVERSAL cat! Differences between OEM fit and Universal is the fact that you need to weld the universal, but it is also like $500 cheaper! SOOOOOO worth the trouble!

And for the piping, go to any automotive store, look on the shelves, and pick up some pipe. I went to the local Monroe and actually asked if I could pick through their scrap (got mine for free!)

Magnaflow Hi-flow Cat #99006HM / Magnaflow #12286 Muffler (stock pipe diameters as well)
...hope this helps ~Mike

Last edited by mykeboy01; 11-06-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Obtained part #'s