Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

NEED HELP IN PERFORMANCE

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 05:04 AM
O_P_PLaya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NEED HELP IN PERFORMANCE

hey people. i just recently installed my maganflow exhaust, granatelli MAFS, and AEM BRUTE FORCE INTAKE. im thinkin of adding TB spacer, headers, and full bolt on exhaust system. what about pulleys, wires, etc. can anybody or everybody please tell me brands to go with, or where to find??? thanks.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: NEED HELP IN PERFORMANCE

With a motor that pretty much has peak torque off the line, I do not think that a throttle body spacer will help much (probably not worth the $$$). Generally, wires won't gain you anything unless you have a hotter ignition that is being held back by the wires (or the wires are bad). For wires though, I am partial to Belden Premium wires from Napa.

You are kind of limited as far as headers are concerned. I haven't found a set that incorporates all of the emissions equipment (EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation & AIR - Air Injection Reaction), but if you find one, let me know. As far as the rest of your exhaust is concerned, an exhaust shop is probably the best way to go. But if you live anywhere that has salt on the roads in the winter, go with stainless piping. Also, keep the cat. Unless you are going to have the PCM reprogrammed and do some serious engine work, it is a necessary evil. A high flow unit should be considered if you are building the exhaust from the header collector back. The 'Y' pipe is quite restrictive so this should be considered when headers are done.

March Performance makes an underdrive pulley set. Just make sure to get the one that has an overdrive pulley for the alternator if you have any kind of stereo equipment (ie. amps, subs, etc).

Now if you wanted to tear into the motor more, you could drop in a cam and some higher ratio rocker arms for a decent kick in the pants!

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2006, 03:54 PM
postal99blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

ive got taylor plug wires with an msd coil and i noticed alittle increase in performance.

Old 07-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Upgrading your ignition is never a bad idea.

However, I would not recommend Taylor wires. After attempting to run them on my old Intrepid a few years back, I wouldn't touch them again. Different application I know, but even in the 3800 community, they are known for their lack-luster quality control. I went through 5 sets of wires myself before I had a set that wouldn't leak spark out of the jacket on my Intrepid 3.5L. Many people over at BonnevilleClub.com have had the same experience with them, even recently.

Old 07-02-2006, 04:44 PM

what set did u have. mines the 409 pro race wire 10.4

Old 07-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Administrator

I had purchased the 8mm Spiro-Pro wires for my Intrepid - then costing me $120. 5 sets and about 3 months later and I finally had a good set. That set lasted me about 18 months before it too had to be replaced, but with only a 1 year warranty... I was out to buy a set elsewhere. The only reason I put those things on was that they (Taylor directly) would not give me a refund for the wires, only replace defective product. Now I believe they only sell through retailers...

I know that the 10.4s have been tried over at BC.com with varying results in quality. But when compared with stock wires, nothing was gained by using the expensive stuff.

Now I'm more interested in the quality then the hype. Best bang for the buck for me is the Belden Premium wires from Napa. They have a lifetime warranty that is actually honored! I have used them for the last 5 years or so and have only had an issue with one set and that was only operator error during installation. My cousin cut the jacket while putting the heat sheilds back on. Napa gave us a new set with no questions asked. I have only had to replace one set of these wires so far and that was on my dad's '94 GMC 2500 pickup. They were on for 4 years and 110k miles, even swapped over onto a reman'd engine halfway through. Again, Napa replaced them with no questions asked. I will say that if you want to get them replaced, you have to have your original reciept with you. Napa doesn't keep track of when/if you purchased them.

*EDIT* - I will say this. If you must have larger wires, I have read that the MSD wires are MUCH better than the Taylor's for not that much more money.

Old 07-02-2006, 06:36 PM

i agree with u their msd is better. i bought these cause cause i wanted 2 see what they would do. plus i only paid 90 bucks for them from summit.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:50 PM
O_P_PLaya is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the input guys. i really appreciate it. but can u guys help me address my other problem. its the heading with MY BLAZER HESITATES.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:27 AM

try cleaning ur maf senor and the screen or u can remove the screen like i did.