Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

pipe size for a 96?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Beginning Member
Bullfrog2099 is on a distinguished road
Default pipe size for a 96?

Hi, getting my exhaust worked on soon and decided to go with the stock cat and a flowmaster 50, already have a CAI and will go with a pcm tune later.

Question is- what is the size of the stock pipe for a 96 Blazer LS 4d? I heard 2.5 from the cat and muffler then going to 2.25 out of the tailpipe.
If that's the case, should i just keep the stock pipe size to 2.5 in and 2.25 out? Or should I go 2.5 all the way out? Would 3 be overkill?
Any response is appreciated, thanks all.

Last edited by Bullfrog2099; 12-18-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

in all honesty if you have any kind of forcefed boost than 3" would be alright, however if still on stock goods stock pipe size is fine.... sometimes back pressure is a good thing

Old 12-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Just go 2.5" from the cat to the tip

Old 12-20-2010, 01:25 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Phil
Just go 2.5" from the cat to the tip
Ok, I'll do that. But is the stock pipe size for the 96 2.5? If so, then all i have to do is pay for the muffler install, new tailpipe, and tip.

One shop quoted me $160 for the labor and parts -minus the muffler since I already bought it. Does that sound fair? Again, thanks for the help.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:00 AM

160 for a new tip, tailpipe, and install, eh thats a little high around my neck of the woods, but not by much. Call another shop and see what they quote you for. Thats generally the best way to see if a local shop charges too much.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Beginning Member

160 for a new tip, tailpipe, and install, eh thats a little high around my neck of the woods, but not by much. Call another shop and see what they quote you for. Thats generally the best way to see if a local shop charges too much.
After calling a handful of different shops, here are the quotes I got for anyone else out there wondering how much they charge.

2 shops - $ 80 -90

4 shops - $120 - 140

3 shops - $200

Toys for trucks - 270

Big difference in price.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:41 PM

Good job! This will certainly come in handy for many people. Let us know how progress goes

Old 03-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Beginning Member

Good job! This will certainly come in handy for many people. Let us know how progress goes
Been awhile since I've posted, but I wanted to give back to the Blazer forum in responding on my results with the flowmaster 50. Here is a little review-

At first I didn't like it because it sounded like it droned a lot interior wise when I hit the freeway. But I think time has changed the exhaust tone and has mellowed out the sound. Outside, it doesn't sound overly aggressive then it should, it has a decent rumble at idle, but I wanted just a little more of the glub glub sound .

When you get on it, it sounds more like an older stock camero- without the performance. Lol, i think I saw a KIA next to me keeping pace effortlessly and quietly while I sounded like I was hitting the drag strip.

I noticed that I've had to push the peddle down to the floor just a little bit more to get acceleration in certain instances. Might be because I went with 2.5 inch pipe all the way through, or it could be that I should have went with a magnaflow high flow cat with this setup. I couldn't help but wonder if a high flow cat would have deepened the exhaust tone just enough to help the flowmaster 50 out. Already using k&n cold air with it.

Performance wise- I wasn't expecting much as this was just a muffler/tailpipe upgrade. Acceleration sounds more aggressive but its still the same Blazer. However, I think the added airflow helps when you get past 2nd gear.

Conclusion- The flowmaster 50 is a good sounding muffler if you want a sound that's understated yet aggressive when it needs to be. It wont sound like big red, but it wont sound ricey either. But for those who are looking for a more deeper truck sound may want to look at the flowmaster 40 or other reputable brands out there.

Last edited by Bullfrog2099; 03-09-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:20 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

any performance increase? mpgs?

Old 03-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by chevytruckdood
any performance increase? mpgs?
Muffler alone, if there is any performance increase its mildly noticed. But the exaust tone gives you that perception even if there isnt much going on. I think I notice the muffler helping with airflow when going up hill- it performs better and also sounds better when going up hill. Combined with a cold air intake, I would say emphaticly yes there is a performance increase that was worth paying for. Next, I want to do the pcm for less- which I hear is a good way to get cheap hp.

As far as mpg, thats kinda hard to gauge cause I did a number of things to get more mpg. Before I was getting 14 mpg, that was until I cleaned the throttlebody, egr, iac, mass airflow sensor, and cold air filter element. Now getting about 17.6 . Learned how to do all this from reading the The Blazer forum. Probably searh- mpg and it should turn up some tips and step by step from others. Gl

Quick Reply: pipe size for a 96?