Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Questions about JBA Headers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Starting Member
S10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about JBA Headers.

Ok, so I've been thinking about putting these headers on my truck, but I have two concerns. These are the headers:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JBA-1842S-3/

1. In the application tab, it says in the footnotes that it "will not fit lifted vehicles". I plan on just adding 2" shackles to my rear, and doing a torsion bar crank in the front, nothing big. Would these headers still fit with that?

2. On the bottom of the overview tab, it says that these headers are 50 state legal. My truck has California emissions. Would these headers cause a SES light to come on for any reason?

Old 08-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see how they could possibly be impacted by a Tbar crank and shackles.

Headers, if installed properly, should not cause an SES light. Being 50 state legal, you cannot be failed during an inspection for having installed them. Stating that they are 50 state legal should mean that they come with a CARB number clearly visible once installed. You may want to verify that they are CARB approved.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Starting Member

Ok great. Thanks once again for your help and your info.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Yeah the body lift won't give you any issues with clearance. If you were doing like a suspension lift then maybe that could cause clearance issues? That being said, I know Brettster said he put headers on his and it didn't do much besides change the exhaust tone. If you do get a set of these please keep us updated!

Old 08-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Phil
Yeah the body lift won't give you any issues with clearance. If you were doing like a suspension lift then maybe that could cause clearance issues? That being said, I know Brettster said he put headers on his and it didn't do much besides change the exhaust tone. If you do get a set of these please keep us updated!
Yea, I had thought the same thing that shackles and a t-bar crank wouldn't be a problem, but I just wanted to be on the safe side. As for the headers, I know I can't expect a huge difference, but I'm mostly after the sound like you just said. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:30 PM
nit8690 is on a distinguished road

yes they will cause issues. if you have a califonia truck it had to have a secondary air injection...unless they say works with secondary air injection they wont work and I ahve yet to see a set of headers that will work with it

Old 09-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Beginning Member
Surgin is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nit8690
yes they will cause issues. if you have a califonia truck it had to have a secondary air injection...unless they say works with secondary air injection they wont work and I ahve yet to see a set of headers that will work with it
I have a set of JBA's and the air injection. You just have to order the headers with the things that you have, EGR, Air Injection...

To the OP, its a huge pain, I got them because the right manifold was cracked. If I had to do it over, I would just get a manifold to replace it. There is no room to work.

Justin

Old 10-16-2010, 12:35 AM
Trip.. is on a distinguished road

According to the LMC Truck catalog, headers will increase overall power 20%!!! That's 40hp! I think I have to call Bull$hit on that one. Maybe a 20% gain over a set of manifolds with a bag of steel wool stuffed in them...

LMC Truck Parts - Page 126

The bad thing is you can buy these same headers through Summit for $180. Making a bit of a profit I guess.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:12 AM
zerepdivad is on a distinguished road

I'm considering picking up a set of headers off of ebay. I've used ebay headers in the past on other vehicles and haven't had any issues. Has anyone on here PERSONALLY used them?

Old 11-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Beginning Member
91'blazen is on a distinguished road

I have a set of jba's on my 91' although not the stainless models, ( mine where chrome and it was rusting i less than a yr) paid about the same price though , for half the price, you could get a set of OBX polished stainless headers off ebay for 235.00 delivered your money just a thought , cause I am gonna get them myself at tax time

Quick Reply: Questions about JBA Headers.