Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Rattle in my cataylic converter

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:50 AM
gavorlake is on a distinguished road
Default Rattle in my cataylic converter

Any idea how to fix ???? this problem

Old 06-26-2011, 12:52 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

It means the insides of the cat have burned out and broken up. You need to replace the cat.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

Take it off and scrap it and put a new one in. Performance-Curve sells Thunderbolt cats very cheap and they're as good as any other cat.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:49 PM
redcruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine did the same, rattle got worse and worse, then it started whistling, replaced mine with a sport cat and had a stainless steel exhaust fitted at the same time, cheaper than getting a standard one over here in the UK.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Unicorn333 is on a distinguished road

I had the same thing happening with my 2000 4wd. I went to start her the other day and it backfired and I heard a BOOM underneath. Turns out I blew a hole in the seam of the muffler also. The muffler shop told me to replace the cat is an "Assembly" (one piece) from the manifold down. $928.00 for the whole deal including the muffler. Does this sound right?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:03 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Unicorn333
I had the same thing happening with my 2000 4wd. I went to start her the other day and it backfired and I heard a BOOM underneath. Turns out I blew a hole in the seam of the muffler also. The muffler shop told me to replace the cat is an "Assembly" (one piece) from the manifold down. $928.00 for the whole deal including the muffler. Does this sound right?
i dont think they need to change the manifolds unless they got damaged
i payed 350 bucks from my cat converter all the way to the rear of the truck
then an other 40 bucks to get it put on since i was lazy . to me it sounds like there ripping you off a bit

Old 07-06-2011, 04:13 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Mine was 300$ for the cat, instal, and a little bit of pipe.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The CA emissions equiped trucks can get quite expensive if you have to replace all 3 of the cats (main cat and 2 pre-cats). Most places won't do it any other way but as a complete assembly.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:48 PM
creteangel78 is on a distinguished road

mine has back fired, rattled inside the exhaust, i kicked it and bent it in now its fine...I did find a vaccuum hose unpluged in the upper drivers side! short hose bout 6-7 inches sucking air in, cant find where it goes its attached to three other hoses that are hooked else where, but this one have no clue where it should be plugged into??? put a screw in the end of that hose and the motor idles down a few notches!!! I replaced wires and plugs it seems not to be missing any more and when it first starts up it dont put and spit, its running on all cylinders now..This hose is going to bother me, suck air in or not?

Last edited by creteangel78; 08-19-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:57 PM
appliancguy is on a distinguished road
Default I Know

Originally Posted by Unicorn333
Believe that was for thr y pipe with both pre cats....Had mine replaced free under 70,000? miles emmision warrantee.

Quick Reply: Rattle in my cataylic converter