Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

street legal exhaust for 350?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:01 AM
litterbug will become famous soon enough
Default street legal exhaust for 350?

so i figured i would need to get rid of my stock manifold on my k5 since it is a piece of crap and they pipes are all cut up anyways. so i figured i would go with this:

its summits racing headers. Summit Racing SUM-G9006 - Summit Racing® Headers - Overview - SummitRacing.com then i figured i would go straight into these, Cherry Bomb Glasspack Muffler 3" Ctr In | eBay and end from there since they have the tip already done.

now im not sure how far back the exhaust has to be in order to be legal. does it need to go past the door or can it come out a little bit under it? maybe if i just do i turndown. i wanted them to be more like sidepipes by angleing them out a bit but who knows.

doing it this way would save me loads of money seeing as how i dont have to spend any money on labor since i can just bolt all the parts together.

another thing, would this be too loud? mainly im planning on using this for offroad/mudding but i would like to drive this around town once and a while. just to turn some heads. lol

well anybody that might be savy with wisconsin laws or just any road laws would be greatly appreciated. thanks for the help guys.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is going to drone in the cab like there's no tomorrow. The exhaust on my K5 dumps right ahead of the rear axle and even with the flowmaster super 40's on there, it has some drone at certain RPMs.

I have a set of Hooker Competition (#2453 if I remember correctly) on my '74 with a Hooker 2.25" dual exhaust system (#16523). I ended up modifying it here & there to fit better as well as made my own mounts. I still haven't made up the tail pipes yet because I don't want them to exit below the spring. I've been holding out on doing the tail pipes until I can get the shackle flip done in the back to get some added clearance.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:26 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

I was thinking the exhaust had to clear any passenger doors to be legal. Mine wouldn't pass emissions because it was right below my right passenger door. I'll put up a pic of it a little later. But that didn't work out because people would burn there leg too much . So I just dumped mine right before the bumper and it sounds way better now. Of course your talking about your k5 and i'm talking about my '96, so... yeah lol.

But since the k5 has only 2 doors, I would think you could make a sexy "right before rear tire exit type exhaust." Just sayin.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Dweeberman is on a distinguished road

i have stock headers, but a new m3in agnaflow cat and a single chamber flowmaster with a turn down tip under the truck tucked in right after my door ends. The sound is amazing, very deep and like swartlkk mentioned, the drone is horribly awesome you have to yell to talk to the passenger because of how deep it is. Now i have yet to put my top back on since i replaced the muffler so i cant wait to hear how bad it will be then i know in california it cant be over like 95 DB's but my muffler is "strip and off road use only" however this is my daily driver ...i know this probably does not help you at all but at least you get to know another setup!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Doesnt matter what state it's in -emissions aside- all exhaust noise statutes and ordinances are selectively enforced. Here's a great example of that on another forum:
illegitimate/altered muffler? - TCCoA Forums
sooooo my mom got a dwi this weekend....with my car. and among the dwi was "illegitimate muffler (altered)" (i put a cherry bomb glass pack on) can they charge me legally with this?
And for many decades, my take on the 'turning heads with exhaust tone' is not positive.
Bottom line is dont make it a nuisance and you're probably good.

Dont get a ticket for something else and you're probably good.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:43 AM

it would be strictly for short trips and off road use only. and imo i think the louder the better!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Dweeberman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by litterbug
it would be strictly for short trips and off road use only. and imo i think the louder the better!
LOL! Your opinion matches mine i have not had mine tested yet but i am pretty sure it passes the db level at lower rpms but once my k5 shifts in OD you cant even it hear it so on the freeway where most cops that i see they just look at my blazer and smile rather than pull me over to check sound.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:53 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Ok,instead of spending 100 bucks on a glasspack,ever heard of purple hornies?

Flowtech 50231 Purple Hornies Header Muffler JEGS | eBay

same thing...45 bucks!

if you dont want the turn down,they are 25 bucks
Flowtech 50230 Purple Hornies Header Muffler JEGS | eBay

Old 09-08-2011, 02:38 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by chris015

same thing...45 bucks!

Or goto summit racing and get their house brand muffler(Not a summit because I got a deal at a custom exhaust shop for cheap but a 1 chamber is awesome, I have it on my '96. Very deep, very loud) for like $30 and call it a day. Some of their stuff is just repackaged anyway.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by chris015

same thing...45 bucks!

damn!!! that looks good. a little purple under the truck would look good too. thanks for showing me this dude. i will definatly get those instead of the cherry bombs. the only downside is they are a little shorter but that shouldnt matter that much. i just have a cherry bomb on my 96 and it sounds pretty good. and its just an extreme.

but for sure i will get rid of the 100 ones and go for the 50. cuts 100 bucks off the bill!! i am going for as cheap as possible. im going to end up putting more money into this thing than what i bought it for. lol

Quick Reply: street legal exhaust for 350?