Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Taking the plunge!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:36 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default Taking the plunge!

I've decided that eventually I'm going to hit water again, and I'd like some sort of snorkel setup... Because I know what'll happen, lol, or even just for regular mudding, it'll come in handy... My air box is kinda dirty, lol.

What size of pipe should I use when it exits the truck? I'd like to minimize power loss...

I'm probably going to swing by a junk yard and get a scrap hood to cut a hole in instead of the fender, and hopefully have the snorkel easilly removable... It might take me awhile, but, hey! At least I shouldn't have to worry about my engine sucking in water! lol.

Or even if I don't snorkel it... at least get the air filer to sit on in the top corner of the engine bay and suck air from behind the fender... That should help a bit when I'm pushing water with my headlights, lol...

Old 09-14-2007, 04:25 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Taking the plunge!

I've heard of one method of snorkeling that uses a sealed box that goesaround your CAI, and it has a ductthat goes into the A/C fan box.Of course you'd have to do some modification to your CAI (if you have a CAI), and to your fan box, and it would cut down on the airflow of the A/Cand Heat. I'll try to find it on the net.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:28 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Hmmm... Considering the temperatures I see in the winter... That's not really an option for me, lol.

at -45, I want as much warm air flow as possible....

Still, might trip over an idea somewhere, lol.

Currently running the stock setup...

I wonder how extending the MAF wires will affect its opperation...

Old 09-15-2007, 12:13 AM
BF Veteran

Should not affect it as long as you have the same amount of resistance after splicing it.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:27 AM
BF Veteran

The only way I could possibly avoid adding resistance to the line is if I used higher quality wire than the factory wire, lol.

Hopefully it's like most sensors and I can just splice in the wire, and away I go...

Old 09-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you have to move it? Why not just build a new filter box in the stock location and pipe out from there for a snorkel?

But then again, you could disassemble the wiring harness as all of these wires go straight back to the PCM anyway...

Old 09-15-2007, 09:40 AM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your going to be running in water at -45 degrees?

Old 09-15-2007, 03:25 PM
BF Veteran

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Why do you have to move it? Why not just build a new filter box in the stock location and pipe out from there for a snorkel?

But then again, you could disassemble the wiring harness as all of these wires go straight back to the PCM anyway...
I've thought about that, but that's one heck of a bend I'd need to come back to the back of the engine bay... My goal is to have it somewhat removable, so when I'm not playing in the really deep stuff, I can get some of that mileage and oomph back into the truck, lol, otherwise, I'd probably just drill a hole in the back of the fender and run pipe to a cone filter on the roof...

ORIGINAL: BLK85

Your going to be running in water at -45 degrees?
No, but if I cut a hole in the fan box, like Euro's first post had, there's going to be less air flow from the blower in the cabin...

In winter, that's not an option... Heck, in summer it's not really an option for me, lol.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:05 PM
BF Veteran

The one Iwas talking aboutis to be connected only when you are going offroad and you can plug the hole in the fan box with a grommet when not in use. I have seen guys with carbuerated engines use a shield that makes the intake pull air from the base of the windshield. That was on a older S10.

You could always just go the whole hog with a real through-the-fender snorkel.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:47 PM
BF Veteran

Well, I'll have to see if I can find info on that one mod...

Thanks for the info, folks! I'll be sure to let y'all know what I cook up, lol.

Quick Reply: Taking the plunge!