Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

True dual

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Beginning Member
theclothedcreature is on a distinguished road
Default True dual

who has true dual exhaust on their 2nd gen? lets see some pictures of your setup...thanx.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:39 PM
njerrdawg4 is on a distinguished road

I may be incorrect, but i'm almost positive you cannot have a true dual exhaust system on a 2nd gen blazer due to the fact that the gas tank is in the way for that to be possible

Old 03-30-2010, 01:48 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to specify your definition of 'True Dual' since almost nothing has that anymore. It would be one exhaust pipe from each cylinder bank (with or without an x-pipe) with a catalytic converter and muffler in each exhaust pipe.
Today, most people think 'true dual' means splitting the exhaust after the cat and having a muffler in each line.
Then you have the 'faux dual' with y-pipe from the headers, one cat, one muffler, and two tail pipes coming from the muffler.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:13 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

On anything short of an all out race truck true duals are unnecessary anyways.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:27 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Tell that to those of us who grew up in the era of the original muscle cars. I had a 1970 RoadRunner. TD's were quite common from the factory.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

It's not worth it. You're honestly better off to just do a catback. Unless you plan on going ALL out (as in: turbo/sc or big ole cam + p&p heads and intake) there is no point in doing TDs on a Blazer, other than to say you've got it. GM V6s seem to respond as well/better in most cases to catbacks as they do TDs.

Edit: x2 on what rriddle said. Except I grew up in 20 years old and wish I had been in that generation.

Last edited by Phil; 03-30-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Starting Member
Rogue is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Tell that to those of us who grew up in the era of the original muscle cars. I had a 1970 RoadRunner. TD's were quite common from the factory.

72 Grand Prix, true factory duals. 400 ci small block 4 bbl. Considered one of the last factory muscle cars. DAMN I miss it.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Starting Member
sifd4x4 is on a distinguished road

True duals would be very difficult to run on a 2nd gen blazer.

BTW true duals still come on newer stuff. My goat actually came from the factory with true duals.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rriddle3

I grew up in the back seat of a 69 chevelle and 68 camaro at street races. I've just seen the dyno results of different exhaust systems. Unless its just turning really high RPMs there is no benefit to true duals and you can actually get a better torque curve out of running some type of x or h pipe on a street engine. The scavenging effects alone of each bank helping the other pull the hot gases out faster are well worth it.

When I was 18 I had a 442 that was true duals. I think my old nova rally has them on it.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Starting Member
Rogue is on a distinguished road

More and more aftermarket (I think some HO OEMs as well) "dual" exhaust are using the X pipe design. IMO, I would still consider those as well as H systems true duals. Just an improvement to the original design.

Quick Reply: True dual