Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

whats the best thing to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 06:43 PM
blazermanxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default whats the best thing to do?

So i my1995 4x4 4door blazer needs some more guts but im not too sure what will give me the best results?

I have a HUGE engine lift incase that might come in handy, i have thought about"dropping" in a 350 or getting a supercharger butthe cost of that stuff is keeping meaway.
I was wondering if anyone couldgive me some insight asto what you have done from headers, to exhaust to whatever and tell me howyou liked it, where you goit from and things along that line, oh and if it really did anything to your performance.

right now i am running catless cause itbroke so i just have the housing still there but no "honeycomb"

thanks

Old 02-02-2007, 08:07 PM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: whats the best thing to do?

Just doing exhaust wont get you anywhere close to the power of a supercharger or 350. The horspower gains the exhaust companies arent true most times. My guess would be you getting maybe 20 whp out of a full exhaust.

Looks like JBA is the only company that makes headers for the blazers(that Ive found). Then after that I would do a custome X-pipe style exhaust with no cats and a high flow muffler(bullet style).

I have stock exhasut but thats what I would do from just knowing how it works on other viechles.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:32 PM

yeah oh i know i wont get close to the power gains from a 350 or supercharger but i just want SOMETHING to get more guts. i love the car but i also love quickness and such, i justsold my 1990 corvette, oh and the fact that i got beat by a 2003 HONDA passport!!!! have to make it a bit quicker

I like the idea of the headers and full exhaust! i hope it will sound quality too?

maybe a hypertech programer?

Old 02-03-2007, 12:16 AM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok well the biggest restriction of the 4.3 is its headers. If I can remember correctly, people upgraded the stock 2 1/4" headers to 3" headers then went with a larger exhaust to accommodate for the change and an upgraded intake and now you are pulling more HP.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you were to actually measure the pipe size on the y-pipe, I think you'd find that it is somewhere around 1-7/8" from the cast exhaust manifolds down to the 'Y' in the pipe. The stock exhaust manifolds are the largest restriction followed closely by the stock y-pipe.

And the fact that you are running without the catalyst in your converter box is probably hurting your overall performance. The catalyst doesn't really impact the flow of exhaust gases as much as so many people believe. If your cat went bad, why not replace it with one of the aftermarket high flow units. This would be much more efficient than allowing those hot, fast moving exhaust gases to cool and slow down inside of the large tin can you now have in your exhaust system.

*EDIT* Let me also add that I run 1-5/8" primary long tube headers with 3" collectors on my Chevelle. The collectors immediately neck down to 2-1/4" true duals and I am not coming close to out flowing them even at my 7000rpm redline. To go larger than 2-1/4" pipe on a 4.3L is only giving the exhaust too much room to expand and slow down. You want to keep the exhaust moving as fast as possible throughout the entire system.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:34 AM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

My bad guys, I ment to say exaust manifolds but it looks like kyle corrected me in his post. Late night, not all there. Just trying to give him a general idea.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:48 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

shoulda kept the vette engine

Old 02-03-2007, 03:35 PM

So it sounds like a full exhaust with headers is the way to go, ill start looking for that soon.

JBA makes the headers, is there a nice company that will make an exhaust or will i have to fabricate my own exhaust?
and what about a chip? and a cold air intake?

I shoulda kept the vette engine? i should have kept the entire car. haha, its alright i love my blazer

Old 02-04-2007, 01:53 AM
HCCAFan is an unknown quantity at this point

Our stock airbox is pretty much as good as it gets. That said I have the Airaid intake and it's not much more than a noise maker.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:51 PM
blazinblack is an unknown quantity at this point

about the air intake they make a difference you will get better throttle response and gas and maybe alittle hp every motor does different with them

Quick Reply: whats the best thing to do?