Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Will 190 hp push a flowmaster 50?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Beginning Member
Bullfrog2099 is on a distinguished road
Default Will 190 hp push a flowmaster 50?

Hey guys, I'm pretty new with adding performance parts. Was wondering if a flowmaster 50 delta would sound alright on 96 Blazer with the stock vortec v6 4.3- pushing 190 hp? Just planned on changing the muffler for good effect and not much else. Not going for an overaggressive sound of the 44, but was still wondering if just changing the muffler would make it significant enough to actually spend money on the stock v6- 4.3? Much appreciated.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:25 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Look at my signature below and see what I have for a muffler. I like the sound, but that's about all you will get from a muffler. There is almost no power gain unless you add headers and possibly a cold air intake.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:32 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Butt dyno says 5 hp gain. ACTUAL dyno... probably nothing.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Look at my signature below and see what I have for a muffler. I like the sound, but that's about all you will get from a muffler. There is almost no power gain unless you add headers and possibly a cold air intake.
Thanks for the response. I was wondering if you just switched out the muffler and used the same stock tailpipe?

Mainly, I'm just looking for a cheap upgrade that adds effect without looking too much like a poser. Thats why I didn't want to go with the 40-44 series. Those mufflers sound alittle meaner then it should on a stock 96 Blazer with no real performance upgrades. I want it to sound good, but I don't want it to sound like its something that its not, if that makes sense.

Last edited by Bullfrog2099; 05-02-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:47 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I just replaced the stock muffler and added an exhaust tip.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Beginning Member

I just replaced the stock muffler and added an exhaust tip.
Thanks for the response, Supposedly Flowmaster recommends changing the tailpipes too.

"Flowmaster highly recommends running a minimum of 12” tailpipe after the muffler. This will not only greatly help in sound control; it will also provide an increase in exhaust efficiency (more power). Running tailpipes out from under the car in street applications will also direct the potentially harmful exhaust fumes away from the vehicle, as well as minimize the sound transmitted into the cab area of the vehicle".

Of course, I Flowmaster may also want to sell more of their own product too. So I'm not sure if the above statement is just BS.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:34 PM
BF Guru

What they mean is, "Don't just dump the exhaust after the muffler." It's merely a warning to those who value sound over safety.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:26 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkFQAo5NzEw

here's what mine sounded like dumped and a flomaster 40 series.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Beginning Member

What they mean is, "Don't just dump the exhaust after the muffler." It's merely a warning to those who value sound over safety.
Thanks for all the input rriddle3, you've been a great help. Texans aren't so bad afterall

Old 05-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkFQAo5NzEw

here's what mine sounded like dumped and a flomaster 40 series.
Nice looking Blazer, never seen one in black. Seems to sound alright until you let off the gas pedal.

Quick Reply: Will 190 hp push a flowmaster 50?