Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Wondering what kind of pipes to put on my 92 Astro

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Starting Member
JTalley is on a distinguished road
Default Wondering what kind of pipes to put on my 92 Astro

We just got a 1992 Astro. Everything after the end of the catylitic (sp?) converter is gone. I could see that this gives me a blank canvas to work with... I'm looking for something that has some good sound, but I wanna keep it as cheap as I can. What should I get?

Here's a pic of me and the new van, btw.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:59 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future
Old 02-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Starting Member

On closer inspection, I found out that the muffler is there, and everything after it is gone.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:32 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

Just replace the muffler with a cherry bomb and let it end underneath the vehicle after the muffler....
or straight pipe it off the block :P...hah jokin.

On my s10 i drove it for 2 days with no cat/muffler straight after the y and HOLY **** was it loud, didnt finish the job in auto shop and was 2 days till i was back.

First time i threw a cherry bomb after the cat and it just ended under the truck...looked kinda cool i guess in the winter, all you see is the ..err..steam? coming out the whole back of the truck... But on a highway trip had the subs blasting on the way, got to the destination and went, hmm,, is it just me or does the truck sound louder....turns out somewhere on the highway the muffler fell off and was straight after the cat..haha

IT really all depends how much you want to spend.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Starting Member

I'm not really concerned about sound, I'm just getting tired of coughing and hacking because all the fumes are trying to come inside the van. As of now it's not very loud, but it sounds terrible.

This is what I'd like, though.

I want something kinda deep, not very loud, but mean sounding. I want something that will turn heads, but not something that'll break windows. And it HAS to be less than $125 TOTAL. Pipes and muffler.

Last edited by JTalley; 02-24-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:14 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Wait, you're not concerned about sound but you want something deep, not very loud and mean sounding.

Did you disregard the video I posted? Put some headphones on and listen to it through something more proper than laptop speakers and you'll see where I'm coming from. IMO that's the best sound for the 4.3.

The Edelbrock SDT muffler (you can get cheaper ones too) are designed to cancel out the higher-pitch tones, leaving the deep mellow exhaust tones to penetrate. SDT stands for Sound Deadening Technology. Or Sound Deflection Technology... blah blah blah.

Last edited by oktain; 02-24-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Starting Member

Sorry. My computer is junk and I can't watch videos... Don't think I ignored it, I simply can't watch it.

I'll have to get the laptop out tomorrow and head down and park at the local WiFi hot spot (AKA the neighbor's house ) so I can watch it. If it is what you say it is, it's exactly what I'm looking for.

And when I said I wasn't concerned about sound, I meant that so long as I can breath, I'm good. I then went on to describe what I'd like to have if I can get it.

Last edited by JTalley; 02-25-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Starting Member

I watched the video. That's definitely the sound I want!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

What I would do is cutouff the muffler and weld on a Thrush Welded, it's a Flowmaster 40 but half the cost, about $40 and then put on a 2.5" tailpipe and run it out the back at a 45 degree angle. I've found 90 degree bends on tailpipes tend to drone a lot but a 45 won't near as much. That Thrush will have that deep sound you want for cheap. Cheapest would be a glasspack but the Thrush will have a deeper sound. Make sure to run it out past the axle to the bumper to reduce drone and to get the fumes out from under it so it won't get in the cab.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Starting Member

I feel stupid. Upon even further inspection, it turns out the muffler is indeed gone.

So is that what it's actually called? A Thrush Welded, no numbers or anything? I just wanna be sure that if I get a muffler, I get the right one.

Quick Reply: Wondering what kind of pipes to put on my 92 Astro