Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

2" body lift + 2" shackle lift SHOCKS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Quik is on a distinguished road

when i did my TB crank and shackles i went with the stock size for a Zr2.. I over extended my stock shocks and ride was horrible. When i stepped up to the Zr2 size shocks ride got better along with little more height

Old 02-27-2010, 01:10 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

When I lifted my truck with 2"shackles, I noticed that the shocks were limiting my rear axle travel slightly (a couple of inches) when it was articulated. If you do not plan on driving off-road, then it is not an issue. If you do, you will limit your flex slightly. I upgraded to ProComp ES3000's. I'm very happy with the on and off-road suspension. No more bouncy ride. Hope that helps.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Beginning Member
whitejimmy is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:10 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Blazers.B.Kewl
I think they mean lift shocks as in shocks for a lifted vehicle. A longer shock basically. And no, they wouldn't lift your front end. You have no shocks in the front! haha, You have torsion bars, thus the tbar crank

Yes, you do have shocks on the front of torsion bar suspension. Shocks have nothing to do with ride height on your vehicle. You could actually completely remove them and your truck would still sit about the same height. What they do is control bound and rebound of your springs, front and rear. With no shocks, your truck would bounce like crazy. Now, the reason I would reccomend new shocks with a t-bar crank and shackles is this: 2" of lift will max out your shocks. They will be almost fully extended at regular ride height and not be able to rise any more when hitting bumps. This will affect your ride quality greatly and also potentially break a shock. A 1-2" lift shock will act with a lift, exactly as a stock ride height shock would and should respond.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by a_tack
Yes, you do have shocks on the front of torsion bar suspension. Shocks have nothing to do with ride height on your vehicle. You could actually completely remove them and your truck would still sit about the same height. What they do is control bound and rebound of your springs, front and rear. With no shocks, your truck would bounce like crazy. Now, the reason I would reccomend new shocks with a t-bar crank and shackles is this: 2" of lift will max out your shocks. They will be almost fully extended at regular ride height and not be able to rise any more when hitting bumps. This will affect your ride quality greatly and also potentially break a shock. A 1-2" lift shock will act with a lift, exactly as a stock ride height shock would and should respond.
You're right, I had springs on my mind when I wrote that. I realize what shocks are and how they differ I just wasn't paying attention.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:19 AM
Beginning Member
jimmy979 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys.. i think ive decided to save money and go with 4 inches of lift 2 body and 2 inch suspension, with bigger torsion keys and lift shackles.. and stick with 31 inch tires.. should be good enuff.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

FYI- A lot of people complain about the 2" Suspension Lifts.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Starting Member
Dbam31 is on a distinguished road

theres no need to replace your keys, there exactly the same

Old 03-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Beginning Member
jimmy979 is on a distinguished road

Hey what type of problems do people complain about with the 2 inch lift.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:15 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

In a nutshell, the aftermarket keys are reindexed allowing you to "crank" the tbars further than the factory keys. With people damaging cv axles, boots and balljoints cranking the factory keys. Imagine what could happen with aftermarket keys cranking the tbars even farther. Plus getting the alignment in spec is sometimes difficult. Every vehicle is diffrent, but more people dislike them than like them. Just some food for thought. But read up on it and make ur own decision. I have a 3 inch body lift and a 1 or 1.5 inch tbar crank and I fit 31.7 inch at/mt tires. So with a 2 inch and a slight tbar crank you should be golden with 31's on factory rims. Might need to do some fender reshapping if you wheel it hard. Agian, just my opinions and research. Whatever you go with good luck and keep us posted!

Quick Reply: 2" body lift + 2" shackle lift SHOCKS?