Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

2 inch lift CV AXLE POSSIBLE FIXES

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Location: Eternia in the winter and Metropolis in the summer.
burningsun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 inch lift CV AXLE POSSIBLE FIXES

I think I have found 2 possible fixes. Actually Bandi acctually mentioned one of them in his post, the other I have suggested in my previous post adding length to the CV Shafts to change the geometry of the angles. Bandi said something about possibly lowering the front differential, it will drop one inch before it is resting on the frame....you could probably cut a c-notch and make it drop more but I think the 1 inch is probably sufficient, combined with an inch added to our CV shafts, it should be just right for the 2 inch lift kits. Unless someone has ruled these out this is where I'm heading next with my truck, It is a damn same that they didn't make a 4dr highrider package. Also I was checking out a highrider s10 and it looked like the mounts for the upper control arms are not intergrated with the frame but welded on like a block. maybe get longer CV's and weld mounts for the control arms to match the added lenght of the CV. that may not be all that costly but must be done right. If anyone else has ideas for fixes postem lets whip this problem.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You probably have more fab work to move the differential down 1" than you do moving it down 6". I believe that the 5/6" lifts bolt the drop brackets into the original diff mounts and lower control arm mounts.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:42 AM

yeah I figured it was probably easier with the bigger lift since they pretty much add another cross member to the front which has all the necessary mounting points. All the fabrication is done for ya. I also noticed that the zr2 cv shafts are thinner than our own..... My brother said that the 60 degree CV axles for our rides have thinner shafts also. but he wasn't sure what company he saw that made. I figure that the axles will be in the 200 to 300 dollar range.. each... which will cost more than the lift I put in.. I'm changing my oil today so I get to spend sometime underneath to see what I maybe able to figure out on the differential drop... Lets keep this thread going .. Lets brainstorm here... I like the blazer so much more than my old pathfinder but I could literally ramp that mother and still drive good, no real power from the 3.0 v6 it had but durablity was there. Its a shame that they treated the 4 dr Blazer as a minivan alternative... I've had the idea of trading mine for a ZR2 but.. to me the 4dr looks better,, I'm not a fan of the way the hatch slopes on the 2 door. And I don't want a pick up cause you don't have anyweight on the rear, I do most my offroading in 2 wheel anyways (locker rear differential). I'm getting off the subject now, anyone got some ideas to post, please do it.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:33 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

im not sure if this is possible or not on s-series vehicles, but i know on the 355's (colorado&canyons) with cranked tbars you can install a differential spacer thatll bring the cv's to a more acceptable angle. heres the How-To for 355's maybe someone can figure out a way to adapt this to our vehicles.>> http://www.355nation.net/forum/super...pacer-kit.html again idk if this is possible as i do not have a 4wd, but i figured i would throw it out there for you guys.

Last edited by mikeinwi; 06-06-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:33 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

That looks like it should work out pretty well as long as it doesn't affect the front drive shaft angles too much.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeinwi
im not sure if this is possible or not on s-series vehicles, but i know on the 355's (colorado&canyons) with cranked tbars you can install a differential spacer thatll bring the cv's to a more acceptable angle. heres the How-To for 355's maybe someone can figure out a way to adapt this to our vehicles.>> http://www.355nation.net/forum/super...pacer-kit.html again idk if this is possible as i do not have a 4wd, but i figured i would throw it out there for you guys.
Something like that would work on the passenger side, but the driver side mounts are not vertical like that. The bolts run horizontal.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:03 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

yea ive never been under a 4wd s-series to see how things look i just thought id throw the info about those spacers out there just on the off chance it might work.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:47 PM

yeah simple matter on the passenger side. I'm thinking a Ubolt holding the differential shaft against a mounting block that can be welded to the frame. There are Three mounting points for the front diff., i believe, correct me if I'm wrong. the way im thinking of doing this will resemble how a rear axle is mounted to lifting blocks on leaf spring rearends., except the blocks are welded or bolted to the frame. I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking for mounting spots on the frame earlier today but will tomarrow.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:20 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

This is something that I toyed with for awhile but just never got around to. Yea, I need to get back under there and do some more thinking again myself.
As far as longer cv shafts go... if you stuff your front suspension on a landing... it seems to me that longer cv shafts will shove into the diff case and possibly break something.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:33 AM

thats the one thing about the longer shaft that I've been trying to figure out. It looks like it maybe ok to go one inch. The kit makes our front wheels stick out wider and stretches those CV axles some. How much I'm not sure. I'm going to check it out a little later today. It should be possible to get some lenght on it, enough to make a difference, I don't know as of now. Hell the Differential drop may be able to take care of all the issues... an inch drop there maybe all we need.

Quick Reply: 2 inch lift CV AXLE POSSIBLE FIXES