Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

31s on aftermarket wheel

Old 01-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Cstiles90 is on a distinguished road
Default 31s on aftermarket wheel

I've searched a bit on this an can't find a answer.i got a 98 4x4 4door non z .i already hAve shackles an the torsion bars cranked. I'm wanting to change the wheels out to aftermarket ones probably 8 inches wide with 4.5 inch backspacing.with 31 10.50 . Would adding a 2 inch body lift with the front end cranked helpTo keep me from rubbing. Really do not wanna cut the fenders. I Figure someone has tried to make this combinations work

Old 01-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Your probably going to rub at least a little still.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:12 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

only one way to find out

Old 01-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

31's with stock wheels and your configuration, including 2" lift are very likely to rub. Add to that 1.5" less backspacing and it is almost assured that you will have to do some trimming to keep from cutting the tires.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
31's with stock wheels and your configuration, including 2" lift are very likely to rub. Add to that 1.5" less backspacing and it is almost assured that you will have to do some trimming to keep from cutting the tires.
There's people all over the web runnin 31s with the shackles an keys cranked on stock wheels.with just frame an sway bar rub.also my rig has no valence..I've seen blazers with the lift like mine with 31s with the fenders untouched.now the ones with aftermarket wheels on 2 inches of lift were cut .I just don't like the stock wheels ,but if I have to cut on my fenders with a Bodylift it's a no go. Just not worth it gettin a bodylift

Old 01-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cstiles90
There's people all over the web runnin 31s with the shackles an keys cranked on stock wheels.with just frame an sway bar rub.also my rig has no valence..I've seen blazers with the lift like mine with 31s with the fenders untouched.now the ones with aftermarket wheels on 2 inches of lift were cut .I just don't like the stock wheels ,but if I have to cut on my fenders with a Bodylift it's a no go. Just not worth it gettin a bodylift
Whether it is the fender or the frame/swaybar; it is still rub. Fender rub is worse than the other two, though.

And not all 31's are truly 31" tall. Also, width matters here as well. Run a 31x9.5 and you may have better luck.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Whether it is the fender or the frame/swaybar; it is still rub. Fender rub is worse than the other two, though.

And not all 31's are truly 31" tall. Also, width matters here as well. Run a 31x9.5 and you may have better luck.
We'll fender rub could cut a tire worse than a frame in my opinion.it really doesn't bother me.most 31sare like 30.5. I just like the look of wide tires on rims that ain't hiding under the fenders If u kno what I mean.Our back tires are worse for being under the rig with ifs .

Last edited by Cstiles90; 01-02-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:14 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

For what it's worth, I ran 31x10.5 BFG All-Terrains with 4.75" of backspacing (stock rims with 1.25" spacers on the front) on my 4 door for about a year. I have 1.5" t-bar crank and a 2" body lift, and I did not rub the fenders, but I was pretty close to them at times when I was wheeling. It seems like every Blazer is slightly different in what you can get away with. Some people have been able to get away with 31's on stock height, and others with the exact same year and model truck have to do 4" of lift. As with most things your mileage may vary.

Like Swartlkk said, actual tire height and width makes a big difference. So does tire type. If you're running a normal all season tire you might get away with a slightly taller tire than if you're using AT's or MT's that have a large shoulder. If you decide you don't want to lift your truck but still want wider tires, look at 255/70/15's. They're about 10" wide, but close to stock tire height. I ran those on my stock Blazer for 2 years and didn't rub at all, except on my sway bar when my end links wore out and it shifted to one side.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:05 PM

Like my s10s ,but dang 4 inches a lift on a full size a fit 35s just bout. S10s shoulda had bigger tire openings in the fenders

Old 06-04-2015, 06:35 AM
Mynameisnickmoss is on a distinguished road
Default Lift/tires

I know this thread is old but thought I would put in my say. I have a 1991 S10 Blazer 4 door. I recently put 2" shackles and cranked the T-bar 1.5", also put a 3" body lift with aftermarket soft 8's(15x7 with 4.5 bs) and wrapped those with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T. Now I can drive and power through the snow and mud in Ford Drum NY but it does still rub (quite a bit also) the back of the front fender when I hit a decent bump while turning. I trimmed it and it still rubs so I'm going to chop the fenders open and build my DD into more of a weekend toy but still road worthy. But like someone said earlier in this thread all trucks are not the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 31s on aftermarket wheel