Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Lifting Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lifting-tech-44/)
-   -   5" lift shackle? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lifting-tech-44/5-lift-shackle-87504/)

p8ntmods 10-13-2014 08:54 PM

5" lift shackle?

I was cruising the web when I came across these 5" lift shackles by crown suspension. This seems like a cheap way to gain more lift. Has anyone tried these? Any opinions?

S10 Blazer Sonoma Jimmy Lift Shackles

cleburne red 10-13-2014 10:33 PM

That seems like a very high amount of lift for just shackles. The shackle has to be 2" longer than stock for every 1" of lift, so for 5", it would have to be 10" longer than stock. Wouldn't that be like a 14" long shackle? Maybe so, but it seems like it wouldn't be very strong, in respect to side to side forces?

edit: not to mention, what are you doing for the front? You're only going to get like, what, a couple inches from the t-bars? Your truck will have a nice dragster rake to it! Unless the leafs have sagged, and most of the 5" is needed just to get back to stock height?

p8ntmods 10-14-2014 09:12 PM

Hmmmmm, I was thinking because the shackle is adjustable that it could possibly be used as a 3" or 4" lift shackle and then use aftermarket torsion keys to get 3" out of the front. Adjustable front control arms could also be used to bring camber back within spec. I might have to take one for the team and give theses a shot. I am genuinely interested.

cleburne red 10-14-2014 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by p8ntmods (Post 636257)
Hmmmmm, I was thinking because the shackle is adjustable that it could possibly be used as a 3" or 4" lift shackle

Not a bad idea. If you do it, take some before, and a full 5" after picture!

$75 isn't too bad of a price; I paid like $20 for some cheap Auto Zone 2" shackles, and the ones you posted look to be a LOT better quality. Mine are just two seperate pieces of flat steel with some holes drilled in them!

newguy 10-15-2014 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by p8ntmods (Post 636257)
Hmmmmm, I was thinking because the shackle is adjustable that it could possibly be used as a 3" or 4" lift shackle and then use aftermarket torsion keys to get 3" out of the front. Adjustable front control arms could also be used to bring camber back within spec. I might have to take one for the team and give theses a shot. I am genuinely interested.

ohh, you`ll be taking one alright. buy some new axles balljoints and hubs to replace a few later also

LeWhite 10-15-2014 01:29 PM

Man this has got to be like a bad Beverly Hills boob job, all cockeyed and out of alignment. I want pictures.

01 Jimmy SLE 10-15-2014 06:50 PM

I'm going to have to agree with LeWhite on this one. A 3" torsion lift... you'll wear through front end parts real quick, and by the time you add up the cost of replacing everything a few times plus the shackles and keys.. you're better off to get a proper lift. Also, shackles that long will stick way out beneath the body. You'll be able to see at least a couple inches of the shackle hanging down