Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

86 k5 lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:53 PM
f6artipower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 86 k5 lift

hey guys im new to this forum but i just got an 86 k5 blazer and i wanna lift it im not sure if i wanna go 4 or 6 or maybe even an 8 and if i wanted to get crazi or found the money iv even seen some 12 inch kits, but im wondering if you guys can share with me what you guys have done , what needed to be done(gearing ect) and i would like to see some pics! thanks guys!

Old 03-25-2009, 01:29 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the same boat here.
Anybody got any ideas?
I was thinking 2" body and 4" Suspension.

They suggest sway bar lowering brackets. Necessary?
What size tires would fit and what would look too small?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:02 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

A 4" lift will fit right on with no problems. A 6" kit MAY require longer drive shafts as well as longer front brake lines. For either kit I highly recommend a dropped (actually raised) steering arm.

When you get into the big lifts on a short wheel base full size you will get into problems such as having to rotate axles (creating caster and other steering issues), longer brake lines and e-brake cable, overpowering the brakes with the huge tires that follow, as well as other stuff that I have probably forgotten.

I always had good luck with a 4" or 6" lift with 33"s or 35"s and 3:73 gears. You can run 35's with a 4" lift with a little fender trimming. I have run 44"s with a 8" lift with a lot of fender hacking and 4:11 gears.

Last edited by bandidolenny; 03-25-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would do a 4" suspension lift. Except instead of using the rear lift blocks (yuck), do a shackle flip.

Check out OffRoadDesign.com

Old 03-25-2009, 02:12 PM

Steering arm= Pitman arm right?
Out of curiosity, why do you think it should be swapped?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The steering arm is what is bolted to the driver side knuckle. It is swapped out for one that has a higher rise to it to maintain steering geometry.

If you were to go to a crossover type steering, you could do away with this. But there is more involved in that. I will be doing this on my K5 at some point. I already have the 2wd steering box which makes it all possible.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:16 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Most older fullsize K5s have sagging rear springs. Now would be the time to either install a new helper leaf into the pack or a whole new rear spring. Actually, I guess all K5s are older now.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I would do a 4" suspension lift. Except instead of using the rear lift blocks (yuck), do a shackle flip.

Check out OffRoadDesign.com
I understand the benefits of the shackle flip kit over the blocks as far as axle wrap but will it affect the frame at the mounting point?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
Most older fullsize K5s have sagging rear springs. Now would be the time to either install a new helper leaf into the pack or a whole new rear spring. Actually, I guess all K5s are older now.
When I get this far I was planning on new springs anyway. Hadn't really thought of a helper spring into the pack. Will the helper make it "stiffer" as well as a little higher?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oisinirish
I understand the benefits of the shackle flip kit over the blocks as far as axle wrap but will it affect the frame at the mounting point?
The factory mount point at the back of the springs is only riveted to the frame. You will replace the rivets with bolts. You will not weaken anything by doing this. Many, MANY have done it with great success.

Quick Reply: 86 k5 lift