Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

98' Blazer, 4DR, 4X4; Body Lift Help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Starting Member
Moores12345 is on a distinguished road
Default 98' Blazer, 4DR, 4X4; Body Lift Help.

98' Blazer, 4DR, 4X4, 12 Body Mounts. 4 on one side, 4 on the other. 2 for the front bumper and 2 for the back bumper. What I'm wondering is if I need to disconnect anything before attempting the body lift?. I'm going to do this myself or at least try too. I'll either buy the poly-urethane blocks off eBay or just cut boat rollers and do it that way. I do believe they are very similar in quality and material. It's not an overall hard job to do, but getting those stock body mounts out may be difficult. Would I need to disconnect anything or just loosen all the body mounts, jack the body up on one side, fit the new ones in, etc etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I dearly love my truck and would love to get this installed before the snow-fall.

Thanks so much in advance for any help.

Glad to be apart of the forum.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:19 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

try #2---thanks bf.com haha

1 - Youre gonna want to pull the battery and tray to watch the (+) distribution block and the shared ground connections. There should be enough slack to let you lift without moving anything, but you wanna keep an eye on em.

2- Theres a ground on the passenger side of the firewall near to cowl, that ground strap will get pulled taught. The kits come with a bracket to extend the strap

3- Theres a wire clip thats mounted onto the top of the drivers side frame rail, at the back of the front wheel well. Just pop the claim out of the frame and you have enough slack.

4- The front bumper lift blocks are 2" diameter, instead of the 3" diameter blocks for the body mounts.

You might wanna run through the BDS install instructions though to make sure you hit all the finer points! But those are just a few I remember...

Last edited by WolfPack; 10-11-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:46 PM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

DEFINITELY spray all body mounts with as much WD-40 or PB blaster you can find/buy probably a good day or two before you start (or they will not come off). And don't forget to spray the body mount hidden behind the rear tire like I did. I had to wait until the next day (to let the WD-40 soak in) to continue where I left off. Not fun...

Besides that, just follow the simple BDS instructions/pointers as Wolfpack said.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Starting Member

Is BDS a brand name for a body lift kit, like the kit performance accesories puts out or?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 AM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

Yes, BDS and Performance Accessory (PA) makes high quality body lifts for s10's and blazers. BDS is the higher cost kit and probably higher quality (not sure though). I have a PA 2" body lift. Oh, and most people dont extend their fuel filler hoses, stock hoses are usually long enough.

Last edited by rob44_90; 10-12-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Starting Member

That's great! Thanks again!

Old 10-13-2010, 11:13 AM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

also keep an eye on the steel brake lines comming off the ABS unit
the ones that are coiled, I needed to strech those out a bit to keep
the ABS unit level, and take out the bolt on the drivers side frame rail
behind the front tire that holds some brake lines,
I used a Air Impact tool to remove the body bolts, i dont think i could have removed the bolts without it..
dont forget the two body bolts directly above the rear axle, they are a little difficult to see

Old 11-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Starting Member

Getting my PA body lift on Thursday. Hopefully I can manage to pull this off in a day or so.

I may have to run the lift on stock 235 75R 15 Tires till I find a set of 31's but I want the lift in before the snowfall. Body mounts have been sprayed down for the past week so they should be good to go.

Just wondering if I'll need to remove the front and rear bumper or can the lift be done without taking them off.

Not having a garage to do this blows.

Any pictures any of you have of your lift or anything related would help me out a lot.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

I have some pictures of my body lift installed, but its on photobucket and that site is banned at my job. I'll see if I can upload the link tonight. Btw you have to remove the rear bumper because you need to modify it so it can fit in its new location. Hope you have a sawzall and new blades.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by nj4x4blaze
I have some pictures of my body lift installed, but its on photobucket and that site is banned at my job. I'll see if I can upload the link tonight. Btw you have to remove the rear bumper because you need to modify it so it can fit in its new location. Hope you have a sawzall and new blades.
Something else I should get than?

Quick Reply: 98' Blazer, 4DR, 4X4; Body Lift Help.