Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

body lift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:15 PM
brandon42166 is on a distinguished road
Default body lift?

ive been looking on here for a diy how to on a body lift....but i most be over looking it...anyone know a link?....i was wondering what all was involed....just unbolting the the body mounts and jacking up or if they is a bunch of stuff that has to be extended?.....and over all what is the diffuculty of this .....

1999 ls 4 door

Old 03-21-2011, 05:30 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

I'm about done with mine. A homemade job. I printed off the instructions from a companys website. If you do some browsing it will turn up. Really the only snags I ran into was the side panels of the rear bumper because bumper needs raised accordingly, as well as the lower half of the radiator fan. I also removed the part of the intake duct that hangs over the radiator fan. That was high and causing inerference with the hood. Other than those two things I just jacked it up and will deal with other problems as they arise.
Make sure to wiggle wires as you go. I had some zip-tied so those needed cut as I went, but for the most part it was pretty self explanatory.

When it says to do one side at a time... do that or else the body will shift on the frame and it will take a lot of time getting everything lined up again. Believe me.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Starting Member
Frog is on a distinguished road

I just put one on over the weekend....and one thing you will need to do is remove the front bumper, cause on my Blazer it actually attaches to the front fender...almost resembles a door striker on older trucks....then the other thing is that there is a hidden body mount right above the rear axle on the inside of the frame.

Make sure you remove this one.....I did not at first and was wondering why the whole truck was going up frame and all....Oh, also there is talk of being able to use a lift kit for a 94 Blazer (if you want 3" of lift) you can use this kit but, you will need to order 2 more lift blocks 2" I think along with washers and bolts...I found this out the hard way.

The only other things I noticed was that with the 3" lift the brake lines that attach to the ABS module and then down to the frame...you will need to straighten out the bends a little, then on the steering....with the wheel coming off of center it binds a little bit...I am planning on using a u-joint to remove the rag joint and fix this problem. Other than that it all went pretty smooth....

Old 03-21-2011, 07:34 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

I was just reading about using the steering shaft out of a late 90's Astro Van because they use universal joints. This was for 82-92 camaros/firebirds, but they use the same style steering boxes. Has pics and write-up.
97-astro-van-steering

I picked up some 2"x3"x.25" steel tubing. That along with the required fasteners and a rattle-can is my body lift.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Beginning Member
luckyferg1313 is on a distinguished road

mine is a mix of store bought and homemade. its 3in but i also have the t-bars cranked and shackles. im runnin 33 10.50 15s stock rims. mine's a 88' 2 door. just make sure to correct the shifter linkage once you're done or you will have problems getting it into park.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Starting Member
Frog is on a distinguished road

I bought the summit kit...and mine is 2wd....gonna put some 31/10.50/15 on there soon...I might have to do some more lifting..looking at spindles and shackles. I was gonna make my own but, I was worried about the ends not being square....my chop saw blade deflects a little and it would take some time to clean up and make level with a grinder.

I thought the time I put into doing that and making the end caps for each piece would be a less effective use of my time. Oh, but my idea of making the end caps for each piece was going to be using a hole saw and just drilling out some holes in 3/16" plate and then weld them on...then you already have the hole in the center of the piece and you can just enlarge it to what ever size bolt you need....12mm I think. For 2" OD tubing I would use a 2" hole saw because it will actually be a little smaller than the actual OD of the tubing.