Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

body lift problems

Old 01-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Starting Member
greenjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default body lift problems

hey guys, i got my body lift in the mail so i am putting it on right now. ran into a the driver side body mount(under the driver's side door), the bolt snapped. the blot looks like it has been rooting for a while now. my problem now is how to get the rest of the bolt out? any suggestions would be real nice right about now. this install is by far the worst thing i have done in a while.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

lol, that sucks.

you have two choices now. you can try and use an easy out, or you can drill the rest of the busted bolt out.

in case you dont know what an easy out is, it is pretty much a backwards threaded drill bit.
you drill a hole in the busted bolt with a normal drill bit, hammer the easy out into the hole. after this turning the easy out left will tighten the easy out into the bolt, and once it wont tighten any more the bolt will start to come loose.

Last edited by jsmz; 01-05-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Starting Member

i know what it is, thanks for the help. i just couldnt think straight at the time it happened bc i was so frustrated from this install. my friend is on the way to help me with the bolt problem since he has the easy out stuff.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:23 PM

hey no problem. totally understandable... my blazer leaves me thoughtless very often.

good luck

Old 01-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Starting Member

ok new problem, cant seem to lift the body high enough to get the blocks under the body. any help like where to place jack and stands or any tricks to get the body up?

Old 01-05-2010, 11:47 PM

ummm, i had that issue right around the time to lift the body off..... something was still connected.. but i forget what.

maybe, I think i forgot to undo a body mount..something around the rear axle area...damn, i just cant remember. But I do remember once I had everything undone i could have lifted it 6 inches off the frame easily. I know it wasnt the gas filler tube... i never touched that.

i used a chunk of 2x4 a little less than a foot long, middle of the truck, just inside the frame on the floor pan with a regular jack. lifted the whole side up at once.

you might want to go back and check that everything is undone... i think there are 12 body mounts.

Last edited by jsmz; 01-05-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:35 AM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem with the same body mount as you, and so did my friend's s10 when we put it on. If you can't jack the body up, just have one side completely disconnected with the other side just loosened enough to allow the body to move, call up some strong friends, and have them lift the body up while you insert and align the lift pucks and bolt. Afterwards, treat them to their favorite beer that is under $20 for a 24 pack. That is also what we did on the s10. If you are like us who own lifted s-series 4x4s here in Streator and have bed lined lower part of your truck... your friends might want to wear gloves when lifting the body, trust me, that is if you were to go that route.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Starting Member

i'll check again in the morning to see if i missed something. would the gas hoes be the problem? i'm pretty sure i unbolted everything, all the front end, the body bolts(driver side) are out.i left my bumper alone bc i'm going to leave it were it is. hey, do u like your BL? anything you dont like about it?

Old 01-06-2010, 12:58 AM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you leaving your front or rear bumper? The front bumper, at least on my 97 Jimmy, has a slot that fits over a bolt head-like protrusion on the fenders. I didn't have to do anything with my filling hose, but we had to on my friends s10, so that could be the problem.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Starting Member

nope, the rear. i'm leaving bc i dont like the look of have my tow hitch hanging by itself. the front is all taken apart and waiting for the lift to be installed. man taking everything off was the hardest part of this whole thing so far, i really hope that i can get it put together faster bc i need to drive to VA on Thursday. not a bad lookin jimmy u got there papacope. how are the 32''s?

Last edited by greenjimmy; 01-06-2010 at 01:10 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: body lift problems