Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Body Lift,Tow Hooks

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:17 PM
WMU10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Body Lift,Tow Hooks

So I just got a 2 inch PA lift installed on my 99 Jimmy. I took it to a 4x4 shop and they were not able to put the tow hooks back on because the hole where they used to go doesnt line up with the mounts anymore.
Also, same kinda question with the spare tire lowering device in the rear. I cant get to the screw.
What can I do?

Thanks

Old 10-02-2008, 04:21 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Body Lift,Tow Hooks

you can cut out a section of the front valence to fit the tow hooks. For the spare tire you would probably have to drill a new hole.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:27 PM
WMU10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gotcha, thanks for the help

Old 10-02-2008, 04:56 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Yepp...It's in the directions actually to redrill the hole while you have the bumper off...

But as for the hooks, BDS makes a lift block that pushes your tow hooks up to meet the bumper openings, or you can just cut the bottom as mentioned. I'm just going to get either front receiver shackles or a front hitch for mine though. Those tow hooks break too easily anyway.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:41 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

would you be able to bolt the hook on the bottom of the frame and use the same holes. I would think it would come out right under the valence.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:52 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

That would definitely give you better clearence (read: less trimming). Lemme go check that...

edit: That's a big negative. You'd still have to notch the bottom of the valence by about 1/2'. If you think about it...the frame isnt that thick, so it doesnt make that much difference being on top or below the frame. 2nd problem is that the holes in the tow hook have the threading and act as the nut. If you mount below the frame, you'd have to finagle a nut inside the frame to hold it all in place.

The best non-cutting option is a spacer block I'd say.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:23 PM
myol blue4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

You should look into receiver shackles because like wolf said they can break easily if enough force is applied. Go to jiggs site and check them out.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:27 AM
BF Veteran

Receiver shackles don't work if your brush guard mounts to the bumper brackets. I would imagine it makes things difficult as well if it attaches to the frame [&o]

Old 10-03-2008, 11:38 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I guess the PA kit doesn't come with the blocks. I used the BDS kit and it did come with the blocks. I've got receiver tubes with shackles installed so I don't need the blocks. If you want them send me a PM and we can work something out.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:51 PM
BF Veteran

Do you have a brush guard with your receiver tubes?

Quick Reply: Body Lift,Tow Hooks