Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

body support snapped

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 AM
s10 blazer dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default body support snapped

last weekend i was camping in rhode island and me and my buddy found some trails to go in with the trucks...i have a 1994 s10 blazer...on the way out of the trails about 2 hours after we went in we had to push through light mud but the rutts were deep and i slammed the frame on the center of the trails when i was in the rutts..i got out to find one of the mounts holding the body to the frame all loose and wiggling..i think it rotted out of the floor above the frame..can anyone tell me if i can buy a new one or if getting a body lift kit could fix it?? thanks

Old 07-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: body support snapped

You have to determine if it loosened up or actually broke. If it rotted off from the body, you have to get a donor piece and weld it back in.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:56 AM

well yea it isnt loosened it is all connected with the rubber bushings and can go up,down,left,right,any which way..thats why i think its rotted and a donor piece is just anither one off like a parts truck right

Old 07-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So the bolt will not tighten up if turned? If so, then the mount in the body is shot and needs to be cut out and replaced. And yes, by donor, I mean a sacrificial vehicle.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:06 AM

and oh yea..i can feel it hitting the body under my left foot when i drive over bumps ...so do you think if i cut it out now just to stop the annoying sound and feeling that niothing bad could come of that..??

Old 07-28-2008, 11:13 AM
FFJustin99Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point

Cut what out? If you're thinking of removing the mount all together, you'll be stressing the two next to it more causing them to be prone to breaking. Have you tried removing the bolt to see if you simply sheared the bolt?

Old 07-28-2008, 12:48 PM

when i grab the head of the bolt...it is connected to all the rubber bushings and is just a big hunk all together..i wouldnt be able to trie to turn the bolt cuz the hunk just spins freely either way because its not bolted into anything it just rotted away and is now a hunk of metal and rubber..i wont be able to un bolt it out.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Administrator

The bad part is, to properly repair the problem, you will have to loosen, if not remove the other body mounts to get the body in the air for repairs. If it is all rotted out, you have some decisions to make as far as how involved you want the repair to be.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 AM

yea thats kinda whats holding me back..im gunna try to see if any other ones are as rusted as the one that broke and then ill be makin the decicisions...i think im gunna try to fix that mount for the snapped one buy a body kit so then i know that all the bolts would be good and trusty..tahnks for the help

Old 08-06-2008, 09:56 PM

i thin ki found a way of welding in the mounts withiout putting strees on the other supports...if i take out all the support bolts..and then weld in the broken mounts..and then when im done welding..bolt in the other monuts..and it will all be good..would that be able to work?

Quick Reply: body support snapped