Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

can't get an alignment because of tbar??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Beginning Member
tomborsari is on a distinguished road
Default can't get an alignment because of tbar??

So, i've been doing mre reading (yay) and i found that some people cant get their front aligned after cranking their tbar because of the angle of the upper control arm?
This just threw me off because i don't wanna toss on new tires, shackles and torsion keys just to learn that i can't pull it off.
can anyone help explain why some need alignment and some dont?

Edit: by the way, sorry for all the new threads i hate to be another guy who just popps on here and has more threads than posts, lol

Last edited by tomborsari; 10-26-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:47 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Everyone needs an alignment after, when lifting the front you're changing the angles of the front supension arms. Sometimes the previous alignment carries over and there isn't enough travel in the adjustments to get the alignment right.

Some people have had to bring the front down half an inch, others CANNOT leave it cranked.

The only "garauntee" available of having a proper alignment is a 2" lift kit which comes with new upper control arms. More money but IMO you get a sound piece of mind

http://www.roughcountry.com/Chevy_4wdS10_2in.htm

Some say it's a waste of money, but those are the ones who were able to get an alignment.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Beginning Member
tomborsari is on a distinguished road

hm, i was looking at that kit recently. seems like a good deal honestly. wouldnt the control arms put less stress on the cv's and wehatnot too?

Old 10-29-2010, 01:26 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

no, CV axles drive your front wheels, if you look you'll see that when you go higher you put an agressive angle in the CV joints... 6" lifts come with fron diff drop brackets.

Supposedly your Balljoints will last longer though with the UCA's

Old 01-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Beginning Member
gopher_6_9 is on a distinguished road

You will need an alignment and yes it can be aligned. Any shop that tells you it can't isn't worth a damn. Been there, done it.

I have had to replace worn ball joints and bushings to get it aligned back in spec though.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:52 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

^^ ditto I went to many shops that said they can't align my truck, but one shop does align my tires and its national tire and battery, I got the 3 year unlimited so I'm there probably every month free alignment. I have my tbars maxed and they never told me it couldn't be done

Old 01-31-2011, 08:42 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gopher_6_9
You will need an alignment and yes it can be aligned. Any shop that tells you it can't isn't worth a damn. Been there, done it.

I have had to replace worn ball joints and bushings to get it aligned back in spec though.
Thats is not true for everyone. My tbars are not even cranked all the way and im at the max i can go due to alignment. I work at a chevy dealer and know for a fact that it wont go any farther. I have found some upper control arm bushings that are offset which will allow you to get more. that way you dont have to buy a $450 kit just for the control arms.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:42 AM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

wanna share that info for the offset control arm bushings?

Old 02-01-2011, 04:24 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

http://www.google.com/search?q=offse...ient=firefox-a

Your alignment guy will love you for that, bet he gonna love your checkbook even more

Old 02-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Beginning Member
gopher_6_9 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
Thats is not true for everyone. My tbars are not even cranked all the way and im at the max i can go due to alignment. I work at a chevy dealer and know for a fact that it wont go any farther. I have found some upper control arm bushings that are offset which will allow you to get more. that way you dont have to buy a $450 kit just for the control arms.

I stick to what I said, if the suspension is in good shape (Now if your balljoints are falling out of sockets to start with....), IT can be aligned to within an acceptable range.

Period.

Could it take a part or two? Sure. For a torsion bar lift will it require upper control arms? NO! Raised em' lowered 'em, worked at a dealership for 5 years doing alignments....

When a competant shop does it it will not excessively wear tires, will not pull, will not wander.

A competant shop will provide you with a spec sheet of:
1. when you pulled in
2. factory specs
3. what yours where when you left.

Is there a possibility that you may have a measurement a hair out? sure.

Will you be able to tell it? No more than you can on a stock vehicle the first time you have it aligned and hit the first pot hole.