Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

changing 2wd to 4ws can it be done easily

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Beginning Member
rebelchevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default changing 2wd to 4ws can it be done easily

ok i have a 89 blazer 2 door i think if i lift it i can put a solid axle under it but how far would i have to go and is it even possible i can get the tranny and transfer case i have a 85 blazer that 4wd but its nothing but frame it looks like you could swap the front end out but the frame rails on the 4x4 are closer together than the 2wd any tips to change it

Old 07-25-2008, 11:02 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: changing 2wd to 4ws can it be done easily

89.. probably cheaper to buy an actual 4x4

Old 07-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Beginning Member

yeah but still is it possible to do

Old 07-26-2008, 11:51 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

if you want to do a solid front axle its probably the same amount of work suspension wise as a 4wd you just also need to swap the trannie and add the transfer case and rear driveshaft from a 4x4

Old 07-27-2008, 12:31 AM
Beginning Member

any idea where i can get a solid axle that will fit and how far up would i have to lift it

Old 07-27-2008, 12:34 AM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

you can grab any solid axle none of them fit they all have to be custom fit with leaf sprimgs or a 4 link and coil overs
just grab a tape measure and see how wide you need and then start measuring at the junkyard i would say a jeep front end maybe im not sure what these guys are using im sure someone will chime in or you can search

Old 07-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Beginning Member

yeah i will check my brothers jeep sometme tday but i have a 4x4 parts blazer in the yard i notice the frame was closer together than the 2wd is that stuff able to unbolt and rebolt to mine

Old 09-18-2008, 09:59 AM
crewchief888 is an unknown quantity at this point

1987 and up jeep wrangler is "almost" a bolt in. you'll need front and rear axles and front leaf springs. you'll have to fabricate spring mounts, but your driveshafts and steering should all bolt right up. the keep axles are easily upgraded with tougher axle shafts, gears, lockers. you can leave the axles spring under ( ie: stock configuration) or for a few bucks grab some spring pads and do a spring over that will give you 4 or so inches of lift. for a street driven truck i'd stay with the jeep axles and keep your tires under the fenders as much as possible.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Beginning Member

is the wrngler bolt patten the same as a chevy on rims

Old 10-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Starting Member
brokenfish is an unknown quantity at this point

im not an expert especially since i have a zr2 but i once put an 88 s10 body on a 76 k5 frame just have somebody fab up a custom BL wouldnt be hard use steel tubing would be less fabing then swaping axles cause you would need a tranny mount motor mounts cut off the leaf spring mounts and move them to fit the 2wd frame then still have to mount the leaf springs on the frame and hope their welded right and since you changed the front axle you will probabely need to change the back axle to match since you already have a 4x4 frame im guessing ready to roll if not it would probabely not need as much to get it rolling as you would with an axle swap if you changethe body to the other frame you might need a couple little things to tweek some stuff but the only big stuff you would probabely need is a body lift to mount it to the frame a custom steering shaft which you would need any way you went chop the fenders get some fender flares and wire it up which if you know what your doing is really easy if you use a carb especially i have seen a blazer on a k5 frame and it looked awesome im sure you can find a write up on line somewhere for the body swap

ive also heard some people use toyota axles for an axle swap

Quick Reply: changing 2wd to 4ws can it be done easily