Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Coil Compression help!!! please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 03:46 AM
Beginning Member
Zachlee08 is on a distinguished road
Angry Coil Compression help!!! please!

I own a 1996 blazer 2WD and I want to put 2" lift coils on it. Ive been watching youtube vids and reading posts about how all you do is remove (these) components and compress the spring and get it out and to put the new spring in you do the opposite.

Well heres my problem, Ive taken my tire off, Took off the steering bar. Removed the shock. Popped off the hub from the lower control arm and pushed the lower "A" control arm down and the spring popped out. So now i Have my new spring compressed to hell and when I put it up into the spring housing apparently it's not compressed enough to fit the bottom part of my coil onto the control arm. So new plan compress the coil down onto the control arm and jack the compressed coil and control arm up into the housing.. Nope! the bolt where the compressors screw onto it hitting the housing, SO new plan. Grind away at the frame so the the bolt can get passed the spring housing so we can lift the spring up into the housing. still nothing. the top of the spring is rubbing the housing and wont go through even with help from BFH!

New plan now... un-bolt the lower control "A" arm from the frame. Jack the control arm and compressed coil into the housing, bolt the control arm on and then decompress the coil... Well that didnt work either. The spring compressors were not 180 degrees from each other so the coil had a curve to it which made it so that we could not bolt on the lower control arm..

Tomorrow a new day. We are going to decompress the coil and re-compress it so that it is compressed evenly. And then lift it into the spring housing and bolt on lower control arm....

Are we doing this correctly or how are we supposed to do this????