Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Flat leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Beginning Member
burnout350 is on a distinguished road
Default Flat leaf springs

will an add a leaf fix a flat leaf springs? if not are there some beefier/stronger springs i can order? i did some looking around but i haven't found the answers I'm looking for

this weekend i put my shackles in, and they pretty much destroyed what i had left on my springs. the new angle must put more weight on the spring?

Old 05-24-2012, 11:48 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

What's the year, make and model?

Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Beginning Member

1998 chevy blazer

Old 05-24-2012, 12:08 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Ok, I would check out rough country add a spring then. I know some people who have used them and they really help correct sag.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:52 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

what i did was go to local yard and get some z85 spring packs...made a huge difference.
i also took the longest spring from my old pack and cut the eyelets off and mad my own add a leaf....huge difference and better long term results then trying to save a pack that is toast.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:08 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

If you go the AAL route, go with the long leaf. The short leaf will be a bandaid on a bullet wound. The long leaf is still a temp fix but better than a short leaf. Absolute best situation is to have them re-arched but that can be $$$. Next best thing is what Jared (warthogdriver) suggested and actually did to his own rig. Go cannibalize the longest leaf (and possibly the next longest) out of another Blazer/S10/S-Series and incorporate into your existing pack. You will need longer u-bolts and you may get some lift out of depending on how bad your existing leafs are. It is possible that you will get no lift but it will return to factory ride height with a little more weight carrying capacity. Some have had to replace their rear shocks as well, but YMMV.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:48 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

^^^
I actually did the reverse of that.
i installed the new to me packs and took the longest leaf from my old pack and added that to the yards new to me packs

Old 05-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Beginning Member

i did read your thread on that warthog, on a scale of 1-10 how hard was it? sounds easy, but so did the shackles. its some what sad that after i added my shackles im only at the normal stock ride height.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:06 AM
BF Veteran

it wasnt that hard at all.
you will need new u bolts and center pins...and a way to cut the spring.
it took me couple of hours....one way that could have made it shorter is to keep the longest spring in your old pack with the eyelets bolted in and build the new to you pack around it. that way you can avoid removing the bolts in the frame...that was the biggest pain for me.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:52 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Do you know how much you cut off the longest spring when you did it? or does it matter as long as its shorter than the longest one in the new pack? or my pack, whichever way i go.

Quick Reply: Flat leaf springs