Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Lift ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:24 PM
justin.campbell is on a distinguished road
Default Lift ideas?

I just bought a beat up 1989 blazer, and would like to lift it any ideas for a cheap but safe way to do that and maybe fit 33-35 inch tires.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:51 AM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

is it 4x4 or not? if so shackles and tbar crank and body lift will get you 31s or 32s. may be wrong more will chime in soon.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:03 PM

Yes it 4x4, and thank you for the input

Old 02-14-2010, 02:26 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

you wont fit 33s or 35s cheaply. Those would require a 6in lift at least for 35s. You might be able to fit 33s with a 3in body lift and a tbar crank with shackles in the back. They might rub a little. A body lift and shackles will cost around 200-300.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:26 PM

Well do you think a 2"-3" body lift would work if I just added a-leaf?

Last edited by justin.campbell; 02-14-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:37 PM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

just depends on how much trimming you are willing to do. fitting 32x11.50s on a 2 inch body lift and tbar and shackles requires some trimming from what i understand. you could go 33s if your willing to take some out of the fenders but not sure how much.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:30 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

yes, you can use an add-a-leaf in the back instead of shackles. Then crank the tbars 1.5in for the front

Originally Posted by leeclark
just depends on how much trimming you are willing to do. fitting 32x11.50s on a 2 inch body lift and tbar and shackles requires some trimming from what i understand. you could go 33s if your willing to take some out of the fenders but not sure how much.
1st gen blazers have more room in the wheel wells. I have 31s on mine and the only rub at full lock and when turning and hitting a bump at the same time. Mine is stock height.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:36 PM

o alright thanks. Ya I have 31's on there right now at the stock height.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:15 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

first gen 3" body lifts are cheap and easy to find. between that, the shackles and a t-bar, you should get away with 32's with out issue, and 33's if you are willing to chop a bit...

also another bonus for that old of a blazer is that you can get the SL cheaper and maybe even used for like $60 on craigslist just look for people sone on their luck... if you're in America, they should be like 2 houses down...

Old 02-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Starting Member
Blaine_D is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, just wanted to put in some input for lift ideas
- for the 95 and up blazers with IFS and rear leafs, the cheapest option that i have found for 3-4" of all suspension (no body lift) is from options on the rocky mountain suspension website http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/index.html
- REAR: 2" lift shackles (GREASABLE) + 1 1/2" add-a-leafs
- FRNT: 2-3" Adjustable torsion bar keys
*THIS IS ALL FOR UNDER $400!!!*
I suggest that when lifting the front suspension you do both upper and lower ball joints as well as a wheel allignment (putting a different angle on your ball joints will wear them out real fast) AKA: When doing your lift If your front tie-rod ends, rear sway bar bushings or any steering/suspension bushings/pivot points are on they're way out, just spend the money and do them because when they break on the trail, you will not be a happy camper, plus if you are good friends with your parts guy at your local auto parts store, you can probably get the parts for cheap anyway.

If you daily drive your blazer, this lift will get you most places that you want to go off of the highway. If you really want it any bigger then you will either be taking this lift out and buying the 5.5" or 6" suspension lifts from SUPERLIFT or TRAILMASTER for around $2000 after shipping. ---OR--- you can spend another $200 (putting the total at approximatly $600 or less) and install a 2" body lift (for a total of 5"-5 1/2" of lift which will clear 32" tall tires if not 33's without too many rubbing issues.)

Long story short : UNDER $600 for 5-5.5" of lift from the mods above
OR
: Approx. $2000 for around the same amount of lift from Trailmaster or SuperLift

-I Suggest visiting http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/index.html

-Blaine : 1999 Blazer LS basically stock until i install the lift i explained above

Quick Reply: Lift ideas?