Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Lifting questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:59 PM
BPT
BPT is on a distinguished road
Default 2WD Lifting questions.

What would be the cheapest way to be able run 31'' tires on my '96 Jimmy 2WD?

Would a 2'' body lift be my best bet. Or would I be able to get away with a 2'' leveling kit, and some fender modifications?

Also, what is the difference between a leveling kit, and a coil spring spacer?

And would a combination of a leveling kit and shackles be a bad idea?

I don't really know too much about this kind of stuff so any information you can give me would be very helpful

Last edited by BPT; 03-09-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:18 AM
BPT

Last edited by BPT; 03-09-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Please do not double post..it is against the forum rules. If you have another question you need to ask you can use the "EDIT" button (bottom right of your post) to add the question.

Your best bet would be to pick up a set of 50$ 2" shackles, then crank your tbars in the front to level your ride. You don't need to purchase a "levelling kit" that is a waste of time and money. You can do it all yourself without wasting the money on a "kit".
Once you have that you should be able to run your 31's without issues. a 2" BL will run you about 150-200$.

There is TONS of info and documentation on these methods of lifting. Just do a quick search on the forum or read around this board. There is even a tutorial on how to crank your tbars stickied to the top of this board. Just about any question you might have about it has already been answered

Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 AM
BPT

Sorry, I didn't know about the rules.

Its 2WD, so no tbars. (I probably should of put it in the title.)
I'm thinking about just getting shackles and coil spacers as it seems to be the cheapest option. Are there any major downsides to going the cheap rout rather than spending the money on the BL? I don't do any serious off roading, the most I will do is mess around in the dessert every once in a great while and the occasional muddy railroad track run. I want to do it mostly for looks.

My major concern is the coil spacers. Since this is mostly a 4x4 forum there isn't much information about them.

I'm thinking about doing 1.5'' shackles and 2'' of coil spacers, since my front end is probably 1'' lower than my back and i want a more level look. Will this still be able to clear 31''s. I am willing to do minor cutting and flaring to my fenders but don't want to do anything drastic.

Last edited by BPT; 03-09-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

You might have to do some minor trimming up front. But keep in mind that all tire manufacturers tire sizes are accurate. Most claim they are 31" but the reality is they are 30" or 30.1", so make sure you to read the specs on those tires. They will say what is the true overall tire diameter.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:20 PM
BPT

Looking at these:

Coil spacers

Shackels

Good/bad? Other suggestions?

Old 03-09-2010, 03:50 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

...those shackles are listed as being for a Canyon. I'd double check it's the same shackle as in a Blazer/Jimmy. I'm not sure if it is or not.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:32 PM
BPT

Originally Posted by Sisk
...those shackles are listed as being for a Canyon. I'd double check it's the same shackle as in a Blazer/Jimmy. I'm not sure if it is or not.
Applications: This kit will only work on the following vehicles:

04-09 Chevy Colorado
04-09 GMC Canyon
82-04 Chevy S-10 / Blazer
82-04 GMC Sonoma / Jimmy
05-09 Hummer H3
2WD / 4WD Models ok

New shocks aren't required for this kit.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:06 PM
BF Veteran

Whoops, missed that part .

And I know shocks aren't required...they're just shackles.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:15 PM
BPT

Haha, yeah I know. I just copy and pasted it.

Anyone have any input on the coil spacers. I know not many people have to deal with them because its mostly a 4x4 forum, but if anyone has any info on wether they are good/bad it would help me out.
I've heard to get four 1'' polyurethane spacers and to put them on top and bottom of the springs, but the 2'' aluminum ones seem like they would be an easier instal, but since I've never done this I wouldn't know.

Quick Reply: Lifting questions.