Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Longer shocks with T-bar lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:06 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default Longer shocks with T-bar lift

With the addition of the grille guard, my front end sinks. Coupled with the already raked front end, I want to level it out.

Now I know if I were just to crank the bars I would decrease suspension travel, and would thus need longer shocks up front, but the question is how much longer?

Would I need to lift the bars to the desired level, measure the difference, and then get that much longer of a shock? Also, if my T-Bars are worn and sag a little bit, and I could only get say.... 1/2 ' of lift, could I put 1 inch longer shocks in to get a bit more lift? It just seems to me that even with sagging bars, they're still supporting the body, just not enough..and a longer shock would give that little bit of extra support to get the lift. Is any of this right?

Old 02-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Longer shocks with T-bar lift

If all that you are doing is compensating for the additional weight on the front of the truck, all you need to do is crank the torsion bars. This won't limit your suspension travel, just return it to stock ride height. If you wanted to go further, then your ride quality may suffer, but I'll let others that have done this comment on that.

Also, if you are just going to restore the ride height, stock shocks will work perfectly fine. I don't even think that people that do a 1.5" lift through T-bar crank change out the shocks.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Zasder is an unknown quantity at this point

I know mine were sagging as well, and I had to crank the right side to the max to gain about 1/2 above stock hieght, and barly touched the left side to gain the same height...

I dont think changing the shocks would increase the ride height though... I may be wrong...

I know after I put on my back shackles, I still have the factory shocks and there strtched to the max, but havent broken yet...(knock on wood)

Old 02-05-2008, 02:18 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Well the reason I ask is that my stock shocks have about 100k on em, and it's probably getting time to replace em. My back end bouces a fair amount, and the fronts kinda roll side to side (not sure how much is the Blazer roll vs bad shocks though). And since I'm replacing the shocks, I figure if I'm gunna need some longer ones, now would be the time to get em!

Old 02-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Roll side to side would indicate a possible problem with the sway bar.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:50 PM
BF Veteran

I looked at some other sway bar posts, and I get a pop everytime I bring the wheel back from full/close to full lock at slow speeds. It has just started recently, and I noticed the other day on the highway that at high speeds the blazer rolls a lot more with bumps in the road!! Would these two both be pretttyy good indicators of bad/failing sway bar end links and or bushings?

Old 02-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Arthur is an unknown quantity at this point

my tbars are cranked waaaayyyy up and i didnt need new shocks