Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Maybe a dumb question? Rear lifting???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Maybe a dumb question? Rear lifting???

Let's try to make a long story short. YEA RIGHT! I bought my vehicle from a guy who pretty much threw a bunch of miscellaneous parts together in order to get in the air and throw on some 35's so he could be "that guy". In turn he wore everything out due to not replacing necessary bushings, a arms, brakes and whatever else. He just got it up and took it through the first mud hole he saw! Well, I paid the price! It was redneck engineering to say the least (no offense to anyone) but it ended up working out in the long run due to me dumping tons of money and time into my now, "BABY"...

Basically, in a certain sense, this is all beside the point. Because I have now got the truck right. I've cut fenders, tweeked t bars, replaced bushings (EVERYONE with polyurethane ones), installed moog balljoints (with the uppers flipped to fix camber issues), installed a new fuel pump, replaced the pitman arm, both cv axles, changed out the master cylinder and all 4 brakes and lines..... THE LIST IS NEVER ENDING!!!

Now..... ALL of that being said, I'd like to get to my question!

I'm not exactly POSITIVE what ALL has been done to my truck to have it lifted. Hell, I'm not even SURE how much lift is ACTUALLY on it and have no idea how to even find out! I just know it works! I've been dealing with a particular alignment shop and they SOMEWHAT showed me (in a "hey it's 6pm and were trying to get the hell home" kind of manner). They pointed at a couple brackets here and there, the body lift (which I knew what that was) and they pointed out the after market shocks (also obvious to me). Afterwords I was told it was around 6, "more like 7" inches of lift and to give them their $35.

I have quite a bit of mechanical knowlodge, atleast I'd like to think I do. I've owned and worked on several of my vehicles, but they've been for racetracks, NOT mud pits! This is my first LIFTED truck and definitly the only one I've ever worked on. I don't really know what goes into getting about 7in of lift out of a truck? I know 3in is given by the body lift, duh. But what else goes into getting these things in the air? New (longer) coils? Or is it just some kind of spacer stuck in with the coil? T bar crank?..... honestly, doesn't matter!!! The front is not what I'm looking for, I need info on the rear.

Now that my front is stable, secure, correct, aligned and pretty much perfect.... it sits noticeably higher than the back! It looks tacky to me and I'm a perfectionist. I think the rear should ALWAYS sit higher on a vehicle, especially with an application like this. So how do you raise the rear(s) of these blazers? I know to DROP an S10 (which I owned at one time) you just threw some blocks on the back leaf springs and voila! Is it the same on these but the blocks just go on the opposite side of the leaf springs? I see nothing back there that indicates the rear has been raised, other than the body lift and if I'm not mistaken an extra leaf spring....

Sorry for the long post, had to explain the situation so you understand what I'm getting at. I love the hieght of the truck, the stance, the tires/wheels... EVERYTHING! The only thing I would like is another INCH in the rear. Nothing more.... a measily inch! (Maybe 2? )

Suggestions? Recommendations? And no... lowering the front a little is not an option, I finally have the turning/flexing clearance I need. So none of that...

THANKS IN ADVANCED!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

to raise the rear you can put the springs on top the axle if not there already, though it sounds like it is that way already.
install some shackles on the rear leafs to get the rear up.
or put some small block on the rear to make up the diff. you are looking for.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:43 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah if the axle is below the springs just put some blocks in there. and if there arent any longer shackles in there put some

Old 09-07-2011, 01:38 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

if you can, get some pictures up on here so we can see and probably tell you exactly what you have already and what you need for the rear.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:48 AM
Starting Member

I will post pics after work.... but after looking last night the springs are over the axle, I believe there's an add a leaf and shackles. I can't tell if there is blocks though.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Starting Member

OK guys here's the pics I said I would get! Sorry if they aren't of exactly what you needed to see. I believe I have shackles, an add a leaf and different shocks? I can't tell if there's blocks? Thanks to any help from anyone! If anyone could just please show/tell me a way to get another inch out of this back end it'd be AWESOME!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:39 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

those shackles dont look very big i think you can get bigger ones.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Beginning Member
racer1044 is on a distinguished road

It looks like there are just some pieces of metal stuffed underneath stock leaf springs to me. Or possible an add a leaf that is broken. But they dont appear to have the necessary arch for a leaf. As far as the shackles they look stock. I would take whatever is underneath the leaf springs out and throw on a set of longer shackles if needed.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Starting Member

Yea sounds like a plan - I think I'll just buy an add a leaf kit and new shackles, hopefully that'll get me where I need to be. Can anyone tell if there is a block in there? Maybe I could just take out the "spare metal" and add some blocks and shackles?

edit** Does anyone know any site that sells lifting blocks for my truck? I can't seem to find them ANYWHERE! Only lowering blocks - could those work if just put on the opposite side?

Last edited by shotnva777; 09-09-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:47 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

That flatter leaf is an add-a-leaf, or possibly a leaf from another vehicle. Technically it should be at the bottom of the leaf pack since it's the shortest in length. I would put that at the bottom and get a long leaf add-a-leaf. The whole pack seems sort of flat so you actually might get better results out of just re-arching your leafs and longer shackles as those appear to be stock.

Also, don't forget longer shocks for the added height if necessary. Do your current shocks limit the entire axle from drooping as far as possible?

Quick Reply: Maybe a dumb question? Rear lifting???