Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Mods with a 4.3L?

Old 09-09-2007, 09:11 AM
99 Blazer 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mods with a 4.3L?

I got my brain thing and was wondering I am wanting to a 4-6" lift and as of right now I not 100% sure. Anyway I go 4-6" swap out the exhaust for a bigger one like 3" single, cold air intake, tune from a power programmer with a speedo correction will the 4.3 handle 31-33" tires with out severe brakeage. Currently I know that there is some work to be done the trans slip occasionally which means probably a full rebuild with a new converter because when it is done I don't want to worry about it. Also a aluminum driveshaft will be installed and the rearend makes just a bit of noise so I will probably rebuild it with like a 3.90 ring and pinion. How much overall lift will it have? Most of the work I can do as soon as my feet heal. Anything that you guys can think that I have overlooked that will need to be adressed? I also know the ball joints are worn and will be need to be replaced and I will check all front end parts.

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

Also if yours is like this how does it do in the mud and on trails?

(If you need to add more to your post, please use the edit button -a_tack)

Old 09-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Mods with a 4.3L?

Here's my buddy George's blazer. He as a 2" Body lift with a 6" Superlift Lift kit. He's running 34's on his truck but he had to do some trimming on the body to prevent the wheels from rubbing. I'm going to do the 6" lift on my truck along with 31's. I think the 3" exhaust might be too extreme for your truck. I would just go with a 2.5" exhaust.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:18 PM

I was thinking that awhile ago about the exhaust don't know what I was thinking. Now on the motor if I rebuild and keep close to the stock displacement which is like 262 I was thinking I could get 265-275 at the flywheel in turn raising the torque. This would give me a 75 to 85 hp increase over stock. I read the Hypertech and a few others offer about a 50 to 60 hp increase with a bone stock motor, so with a 2.5" exhaust w/ hi flow cat, throttle body, CAI and ifI get realcreative and break out the welder or can find a company to make a pair of shorty headers it should push me close to 290-300 FWHP. Which with the right gearing would pull 33" tires. I amjusttrying to set the truck up to run good on the highway and be reliable like it is now and beable to ripit up and hold its own offroad. So many guy around whereI livelift em' up and do nothing else,Ican't tell you howmany that Ihave seen spittin' driveshafts, cranks,rods, and rear ends because the truckwasn't setup right or didn't have enough power to pull the tires. I figure thatif I spend a little more now and fix just a couple of things like the rear and thetrans, that I will be avoidingcostly repair and problems later. I am a fairly experience in offroading and working on vehicles although the blazers are still somewhat new and I have alot to learn about them yet.I just went out and measured my truck I aready knew the front sagged a bit but there is like a 1'-1.5' difference is this common with blazers with 150,000 plus miles. I have installed new shocks. Sorry I didn't know about the edit. Thanks for the pics and any helpful advice you guy offer.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Not to burst your bubble about Hypertech but here's a dyno chart on a 4.3L Blazer.

http://www.hypertech.com/get_dynocha...440&tp=pdf

Old 09-09-2007, 06:58 PM

My bad I read that on another forum, some guy had it with the same similar setup and even had what I thought was a real dyno sheet. I have really realized that the only place that I am going to get accurate info is from you guys. Thanks for the heads up, it didn't jump out to me to check Hypertech's website as I have had alot going on and I am just getting little bits of time here and there to think about my project, that why I have changed ideas a couple of times. So what do you think for close to 300 hp and what would do for that size of tire and for durability and power? I could settle for less as long as it will be an animal offroad. Like I said I'm new to the blazer scene even thought I have owned mine for about 2 years. I guess I have alot to learn even when it comes to other sites miss information!

Old 09-10-2007, 06:55 AM

Yea there's alot of sites where people throw out the wrong info because people miss read manufactures websites. For 300hp, you have alot work to do because your blazer is about 150hp or a little more to the wheel. So now your talking about another 150hp to the wheel. Your best bet is getting a supercharger for your truck. Not hard to install and can be done in a couple of hours. Or you could just purchase a V8 and swap out the 4.3L. There are a few sites that sell everything you need to do the v8 swap. And from the look at the hp numbers you want to achieve, to me this would be your cheapest route. You can swap in a v8 from a tahoe and still keep your 4wd.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:35 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: nj4x4blaze

Here's my buddy George's blazer. He as a 2" Body lift with a 6" Superlift Lift kit. He's running 34's on his truck but he had to do some trimming on the body to prevent the wheels from rubbing. I'm going to do the 6" lift on my truck along with 31's. I think the 3" exhaust might be too extreme for your truck. I would just go with a 2.5" exhaust.

Where'd he find that bumper? lol, because DAMN! That is hawt! lol. Or did he make it himself?

And like nj4x4 said... I don't think you can see 300HP on the 4.3 without forced induction... So either a turbo, supercharger or V8 swap is what you'll be needing...

Old 09-16-2007, 04:26 PM

That is kinda what I was thinking I currently now recovering from another series of costly repairs so someday hopeful somewhat soon my wish list will become reality. Since I can't start any mods as right now I have been changing my concepts and ideas as well as creating new ones which I believe when I can afford to start it will make for a better project.

The only thing that will NOT change is my color choice it is called copperhead orange.Here is the link:
http://www.gearztv.com/index.php?em2...s&ek=96289
I will then put SS stripes down the middle they will be the Sgt. Rocks Metallic Silver. You can also see it in the same web site on the projects tab.
Please check it out and tell me what you think?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: drperry

Where'd he find that bumper? lol, because DAMN! That is hawt! lol. Or did he make it himself?

And like nj4x4 said... I don't think you can see 300HP on the 4.3 without forced induction... So either a turbo, supercharger or V8 swap is what you'll be needing...
I'm not sure where he got the bumper from. I know when he got it, he had to weld it all together.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: drperry

Yeah, I agree! That pre-'94 Blazer looks tight too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mods with a 4.3L?