Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

need to lift my 98 jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Beginning Member
birdsfan82 is on a distinguished road
Default need to lift my 98 jimmy

hey looking for help i have been a camaro guy for the past 6 years and owned 3 of them now i had my first son and bought a jimmy. took it off road once and got two flat tires. (stock tires). i want to put some 31x10.5r15 in the wheel wells but i know they wont fit as is. any one have any lifting ideas for a lower budget build. any help would be great thanks.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

T bar crank. I would suggest no more than 1 1/2. Thats free to do but you will need an alignment. Then for the rear shackles. Depending on your sag 1 1/2 or 2 inch shackles. Then you could do 2 inch a body lift. Im pretty sure that will clear. I just did a 1 1/4 inch crank and 1 1/2 shackles.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:05 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

To the best of my knowledge you won't clear 31's without a body lift (even with tbar cranking). You *may* get away with it with some heavy trimming of the bumper and fender areas, but you'd probably still run into problems with rubbing, especially with a 10.5 tire.
Why not go with a 30x9.5? They fit perfectly on a stock ride height (what I have now) and they can look just as beefy with a little back spacing. They work well off road too.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Beginning Member
Default 98 jimmy

i did a little research and was thinking three inch shackles and three inch torsion bar keys. but if there is still clearance concerns i will go with 30x9.5's. i dont mind trimming the inner wheel wells i just dont want to cut the outer metal. thank you. any info on where to find the tool to install the keys would be appreciated also. thanks.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You do not want to lift the front end over 1.5-2". Even 2" pushes the limits on some trucks depending on wear and tear. This is aftermarket keys or stock. You can lift the front of the truck with the stock keys enough to kill ball joints fast.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

2in Performance Body lift will clear 31x10.5s. your tires might rub on the frame and maybe the sway bar, depending on your wheel back spacing.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Beginning Member
Default 98 jimmy

it looks like a body lift is a must do than. i didnt want to get to overboard with this truck as it is my daily driver now. just wanted to put some bigger tires under it. how long on average for a 2 inch body lift. are we talking a couple hours or a weekend? thanks.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:11 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

it all depends on the condition of your body mount bolts. miner were rustier than heck ... so it took a coulple of days because one of the bolts snaped and we were trying to get it out... but didn't. A few months ago a few people and i put a body lft on my firends 96 s10 and it only took part of a day... that was including spending time on the same bolt that snapped on mine... except his came out.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Beginning Member

hey guys thanks for all the help the t-bar crank and shackles are done. had to burn the bushing out of the leaf springs and get new bushings but besides that it was smooth and fairly easy. next is the body lift. or maybe just the 30x9.5's. only one question left will the 30's mount on the factory wheels or are wider wheels recommended. i know they should fit but any info will be helpfull. thanks again.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Factory wheels work fine with 30x9.5,

Quick Reply: need to lift my 98 jimmy