Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Need lifting help to clear 33's

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Beginning Member
Anonymous907 is on a distinguished road
Question Need lifting help to clear 33's

I have a 2001 GMC Jimmy SLE 4x4.

I want to be able to clear 33" tires, 12.5" wide, on 14" rims while maintaing full flex and minimal to no tire rubbing.

Any suggestions...?

I understand with these vehicles you will most likely need to do a lot of extra moding, but what kind of moding will I be getting myself into? Choppin fenders is fine by me if I have to.

I was thinking a 3" body lift and a 6" suspension... I would consider myself a beginner off roader but I know how to handle my self on the trails fairly well. I just don't know a whole lot on the mechanical side of things...

Any help would be greatly appreciative and duely noted.

Thanks to all,
-Garrett

Last edited by Anonymous907; 03-18-2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Typo on tire size
Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I have both a two inch bl and five inch susp lift.
still had to trim the fenders to stop rubbing....33 will fit with that amount of lift min i think.
Depends on what you wanna trim fender wise too.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:18 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

On top of what Wart said, depending on what gears you have, you would want to regear as well.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

this topic has been covered many times

I think you can find answers with the search feature also

Old 03-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Beginning Member

In response to Warthogdriver; I was thinking it would take that to clear em as well. My plan was 3"bl and 6" suspension. Maybe with those 2 extra inches I wouldn't have to do much, if any trimming? Also with lifting it that high what other parts and tweaks did you have to do? extended drive lines, axles, etc. I would definitely replace all bushings and seal everything up.(I have independent suspension btw) As for the gears Tibby, like 4:33 ratio...? That's one side of things I have absoluetly no idea how to do without a shop... I also wanna be able to drive this daily.

Thanks for everyones input,
-Garrett

Old 03-20-2012, 07:53 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

as far as lifting i had to do several things outside of just bolting on the lift.

my driveshaft had to be rebalanced..but length was fine
i added 6 degree shims to rear axle
rear stabilizers had to be lengthened
and i had camber issues...(that is fixed for now...i added a second nut to each bolt)
i had to trim front wheel wells slightly...i exp rub with big bumps/dips in road.
daily driving was fine.

with body lift you may want gap guards...up to you on that one.

the tires you want are almost the same as mine except i have 15" wheels.

now with you doing 6" i dont know about the driveshaft. there are a couple rides on here with a 6" lift...search and you should find them.

that is all i can think of right now.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
as far as lifting i had to do several things outside of just bolting on the lift.

my driveshaft had to be rebalanced..but length was fine
i added 6 degree shims to rear axle
rear stabilizers had to be lengthened
and i had camber issues...(that is fixed for now...i added a second nut to each bolt)
i had to trim front wheel wells slightly...i exp rub with big bumps/dips in road.
daily driving was fine.

with body lift you may want gap guards...up to you on that one.

the tires you want are almost the same as mine except i have 15" wheels.

now with you doing 6" i dont know about the driveshaft. there are a couple rides on here with a 6" lift...search and you should find them.

that is all i can think of right now.
Do you run through bearings and what not? But nice to hear I might be able to just lengthen and rebalance it. I have 15" wheels on there now, but I wanted to move down to 14's. What exactly do you mean Camber issues..? I'll look for more people with a 6" lift in a min here. Thanks for all the input

Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 PM
BF Veteran

I am not hard on my ride...i go offroad for pleasure cruise only.
i havent had any terrible wear issues...but i redid the whole suspension when i did the lift last year.

The camber issue is that i have trouble with the bolts slipping and letting camber out on the tires...THAT WILL CHEW TIRES!!! I am looking to fix it right very soon. From what i have found searching around the googleverse is that it seems like a somewhat common lift issue.
I think the amount of susp travel loosens up the bolts.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Not sure why you would want to go down to a 14in wheel but im not sure if they would clear the front brake calipers. With the 15s i have i had to use stick on wheel weights on the inside of the wheel and i cant get them to stay on cause they hit the calipers.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:47 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

For a daily and the size of tires you want to go with, I would go with 4.11 gears.

Quick Reply: Need lifting help to clear 33's