Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

New to lifting...

Old 05-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Big Frost is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to lifting...

hi all,

I measured my suspension on my 96 blazer, and it seems as though my body is 15.5" from the ground in the back, and 13.5" in the front... i would like to raise this vehicle to give it the more aggresive look, not so much for tires or anything (although in the future i will most likeley take advantage of the extra room)

What im looking at is these for the front:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180240342457

and this for the entire body:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-97...252142063&

now, will these items work, and will they allow me to drive my vehicle safely without replacing any other parts?

Thanks in advance,
-Frost

Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: New to lifting...

Well...let's hope you have a 2wd blazer...because that's the only way the first link will work for ya. 4x4s have a torsion bar suspenion system up front...no springs.

The body kit will work fine for you. What size tires do you have on right now? 235/75/15s will look a little paltry after you lift the front end 2' and the body 2'..

Old 05-14-2008, 06:06 PM

there 235...

and how do i find out if i have a 4x4? i doubt it, i dont see a 4x4 switch anywhere, it does have 2 "D" modes in the gear shifter though....i do know its a 4 door LT though

but basically im going for the look of the newer suvs...cause i noticed thats the main difference between my blazer and say a tahoe, or newer explorer...is height...it almost looks like a car compared to them...

but is 2" enough to notice a difference?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:42 PM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not a 4x4. You would have a 4x4 switch or it would say AWD somewhere up front.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:51 PM
s10 blazer dude is an unknown quantity at this point

if you still arent sure if its 2wd or not...if you cant notice either a floor shifter that says 4hi and 4lo...or push button on the dash just look at your front suspension..if there are springs its 2wd if no springs its 4x4..that simple man

Old 05-14-2008, 06:53 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Or we could look at his rims

There's a few ways to tell!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:55 PM

yeah, its not...no switch, and its got springs...but back to the original question, how does that setup look as far as safety and imapact on the look of the vehicle?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:57 PM
BF Veteran

having the front end up even with the rear looks awesome I think. I went around for a while with 2' up on the front and no shackles...looked GREAT I think! But I had problems with CVs so I backed it down to 1.5, and got shackles with my new tires.

Safety wise, it's a bit different...your lights aim much higher up (better visibility, but you'll tick off other drivers), also you do lose some front end visibility, so ya gotta be careful parking...but nothing really else I can think of..

Old 05-14-2008, 07:19 PM

so raising the front will make a bigger difference?

lol the headlight and parking thing is ok, i just read some stuff about putting a lift on can break your ball joints or cv axels, and all that, but a BODY lift, and those front end springs wont sdo any of that right?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:23 PM
BF Veteran

Well you don't have CVs being a 4x2, but I suppose you would still wear the ball joints a bit with the lift...

Body lift does not effect suspension at all, so no problems there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to lifting...