Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Lifting Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lifting-tech-44/)
-   -   SAS Question (https://blazerforum.com/forum/lifting-tech-44/sas-question-78217/)

chestypuller 03-27-2013 03:40 PM

You need rhe think about the terrible front output of tge blazer tcase for one.

I did my first sas in 1998 on a 97 k1500

Most you guys probably were watchinh barney the dinosour back then

chestypuller 03-27-2013 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4guy (Post 575945)
Great. I'll keep an eye out for a driver side differential. I might have to go with a d30 just because of availability though. How much weaker are they really and is there any way I can strengthen them up?

Dont waste your money man.

rexmburns 03-27-2013 04:01 PM

A 30 can serve you just fine depending on what type of wheeling you intend on doing with it. Most seem to go with the 44 for the factory strength in relation to what they will be using it for, swap compatibility with the s-series platform, and heavy aftermarket availability for the 44 axles. Personally I would try and find 44s but that's just because of strength for the type of wheeling I would be doing with it over a 30.

Like diata said a 205 and 60 is overkill unless you plan to use it as a 99% off road rig. That's not to say they can't be made to work well on the street just usually not necessary for the additional cost and complications with swapping them.

Diaita 03-27-2013 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4guy (Post 575945)
Great. I'll keep an eye out for a driver side differential. I might have to go with a d30 just because of availability though. How much weaker are they really and is there any way I can strengthen them up?

The Dana 30 is a decent axle so long as you are going to stick with 33" tires or less, and no locker(in my opinion). They were installed in V8 powered vehicles back in the 70s, and held up alright. It's a popular axle for a SAS swap with few guys regretting it from what I've read.

The weak link in the D30 is the axle shafts, but they are readily available in the aftermarket.

jackdough 03-27-2013 04:55 PM

im collecting parts for my sas and went with d30 from a cherokee. like you said easy to find and cheap. ill be running 33s, from everything i know/read its mostly a heavy foot them kills em. even if you blow em up at least all your suspension work is done. swapping axles down the road would be a few hours and a couple beer.

Diaita 03-27-2013 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by chestypuller (Post 575961)
You need rhe think about the terrible front output of tge blazer tcase for one.

I did my first sas in 1998 on a 97 k1500

Most you guys probably were watchinh barney the dinosour back then

The front output shaft is easily changed so you can install a drive flange, 1310 CV yoke, or a standard 1310 yoke if you want a large lift.

My friend, you need to work on your tact...

chestypuller 03-27-2013 08:48 PM

Another thing to consider if you run a 44 or 10 bolt is they will be a money pit in broken parts uf you want to run larger then a 35" tire, and if your gonna dump money into aftermarket high strength shafts and good lockers like arb's then get a d60 to start with, other wise its just like throwing money away on them lighter duty axles.

Why waste money to regret it later when u can just start with the best truck axle (d60) and build it from there. Itll be money saved in the long run, ive bought d60's for as little as $450 here

xgiovannix12 03-27-2013 11:35 PM

I want all my sas information from chesty from this day on. HE IS A VERY SMART MAN :icon_bricks:

cleburne red 03-27-2013 11:53 PM

While a D60 is going to be the strongest solution, it really is overkill for an S10 Blazer. Plus, the tires would be sticking way out past the fenders, unless you paid $$$ to narrow it.

A D30 would probably live under a blazer, especially with only a 33" tire. Under a full size, I wouldn't even consider a 30, though. I've read that it's not really much stronger than the IFS our trucks come with.

If you're going to do all the work of an SAS, though, I would run a D44. That's what I'm on the look out for right now, to do mine with. A lot of guys use the axle out of an 80+ Jeep wagoneer and Grand wagoneer. It's driver side drop, and the right distance between wheel mounting surfaces. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you want to shoot for something around 60" wms, right? (Give or take a couple) At least, if you want something around the stock width.

It just comes down to how you'll use it. Hard core rock crawling, huge tires, and a V8 swap? Maybe you do need a D60, lol! Up to 33" tire, light foot, and mild wheeling, you could probably make a D30 live. I would want a little extra cushion, though, just so you don't have to worry so much about breakage, and go with the D44.

xgiovannix12 03-28-2013 12:02 AM

D44s would be best....