Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Shackle lift on top of a body lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:40 PM
njerrils05@gmail.com is on a distinguished road
Default Shackle lift on top of a body lift

Hey guys just wanted to say this is the best forum on the web. I always look before i post(only posted maybe once or twice bc you guys always have the answers lol) but couldn't find anything on this. I already have a 2 inch body lift and really like it. However i would like a shackle lift too. Do any of you guys have a body lift and a shackle lift? does it mess with your steering/alignment down the road? Thanks in advance

Old 03-01-2011, 06:51 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

A shackle lift is only for the rear so it wouldn't have all that much to do with your steering and alignment, if at all. Do you have a 2wd or 4wd? If you have a 4wd you can crank the torsion bars up (within reason) to come close to or match the rear lift from the shackles. Unless you like driving around with a rake that is.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:35 AM

It's 4wd and yes i did plan on doing a tbar crank right now it sits quite low and was gonna crank it up like an inch so i don't mess with my front end too much. thanks for the input i plan on doing it soon

Old 03-02-2011, 06:43 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Cranking the front end any at all requires an alignment.

I have a 3 inch BL and mine is shackled/tbar cranked. Been that way for over a year.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:01 PM
NCSWP is on a distinguished road

I was wanting to do the same thing to mine, maybe 3 inches of shackle lift and 2 or 3 of bodylift on my 03' ZR2 Blazer. 1-1.25 T-bar crank. What do you guys think? I'm thinking with some minor trimming I could run 33x10.50's offroad. I would also like to do the quick disconnects for the front swaybar, maybe the rear.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new, but does anyone know why the Daystar shackles aren't listed for 03's(stops at 02)???

Old 03-13-2011, 11:48 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

hmmm... minor trimming? Click the link in my signature... Remember ZR2's are 2" taller than a stock Blazer and IIRC 3 inch BL's aren't available for 2nd gens. so with 1.5" + 2"... that's 5.5" taller than a stock Blazer. You may need more than "minor" trimming lol because NJ4x4Blazer rubbed 32's with a 6" lift before putting his 2" body lift on... now he can clear 33's if he's not wheeling hard.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:57 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

'02 shackles will fit on an '03. You can fit a 3" body lift on a 2nd Gen by using a 2nd Gen kit and swapping out the 2" blocks for 3" blocks. ZR2's actually sit 3" taller stock than non-ZR2's. You can run 33X10.5 or even 33X12.5 on a ZR2 with just a body lift, shackles and tbar crank.

I have 33X10.5's and have trimmed quite a bit. 95% of the time offroad I don't not rub. Only when I fully flex do I rub on the rear of all four flare. Not all four at the same time, of course, but one at a time. I could trim more or go down to 32's or just not get in situations where I flex to the max.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:10 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Keep in mind that a 2" (longer than stock measurements between the bolt holes) rear shackle is ONLY giving you 1" of lift because you're only lifting 1/2 of the rear spring. That being said if you wanted the rear raised 2" more you'd need shackles 4" longer than stock. The longer the shackles the more they're visable too. Also always replace the bolts etc when swapping shackles or any U-bolts etc. You'll probably have to replace them anyway because they can be a bitch to get out. lol

Last edited by Rottidog; 03-14-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 PM

Hey guys so i did the tBar crank after the tutorials and everything and having problems lol. Definately loosened my steering terribly. I know it can throw off the alignment so i had it brought in and was told the alignment was perfect. Its so damn loose now i hate it. Is everyone's experiences the same when cranking the torsion bar? Does anyone know the stock torsion bar height? i would assume this would stiffen my ride back up.....

Old 03-14-2011, 09:39 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

did they check your steering components....idler arm...pitman arm?
i know those were shot on mine and the front end was terrible.
also check you shocks? i had one fail before and that too made the front end feel sloppy.

Quick Reply: Shackle lift on top of a body lift