Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

shackle troubles - please help....

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:13 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
Default shackle troubles - please help....

i know that shackles have been covered a hundred dif. ways on here but.....
i attempted to remove the factory shackles today and no luck at all. the nut will come off,i left it on to apply my high tech. BFH (on the leaf end) and well no movement outside of a 1/4" give take. the bolt will spin in the bushing but i have a feeling the bolt and sleeve are spinning together.

anybody have this problem? / solution possibly?

daily driver so being out of commission beyond a weekend is not an option.

i do have everything back together thought maybe the pressure of putting it back together might pop it but no.

please any help is appreciated.

thank you.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:22 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

have you tried applying heat? other than that ill have to do some digging around to see what i can come up with for ya.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:53 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

yes, forgot to mention i did try a benzine torch could smell burning rubber assuming maybe not enough heat (all i have )....i will be giving another go this weekend.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:17 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

i see...like i said before ill see what i can dig up for ya, but im in the process of moving right now so things are kinda hetic so i apoligize in advance if im not quick to respond.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:14 AM
lester is on a distinguished road

have you tried cold? like heat expands cold will shrink steel. you could tap the bolt end to try and break it free also don`t heat it (if thats what you are going to try again) over 200deg you will screw up the temper on the bolt and let it cool naturaly if you quench it in water or oil you will screw up the temper of the bolt.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:50 AM
BF Veteran

any help is appreciated, doesnt have to be super fast i am not worried about the bolt condition as long as it comes out, i bought all new hardware for the job when i read i would be beating on it.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:33 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Just an idea, but did you try some penetrating oil? Leave it on for a bit, then put the nut back on flush with the end and with a hammer just tap (don't go psycho on it) and see if it'll move. You can also use a punch on the end of the bolt if you have one. Not a chisle, but a punch with the pointed end.

If you screw up the bolt a bit it's not that big of a deal since you have new hardware...

May or may not work. I've gotten suspension bolts out of snowmobiles like this when bolts have seized.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Beginning Member
sparkmehanic is on a distinguished road

Try using a ball joint press, push the rubber and sleeve out using the press.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that the sleeve inside the bushing gets rusted to the bolt. The best way I have found to deal with this is to use a hack saw or saws-all to cut the bolt/bushing just off the edge of the spring.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Beginning Member
blazer37 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had the same problem. i ended up cutting the shackle off and pressing the bolt out. but the bolt came out with the inner sleeve fused to the bolt and it pretty much ruined the inside of the bushing so i had to get new bushings. i just cant figure out how to get the rest of the old busing out. so not to steal your thread but if anyone has some ideas on how to get the old bushings out i would love to hear them.

Quick Reply: shackle troubles - please help....