Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

shackles causing leaf inversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:12 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
Default shackles causing leaf inversion

ok, i have had 2" lift shackles on for some time now on original stock springs. i think it may be time to install an add a leaf set or something.
i know these pics are low quality but i think you get the idea.
after lookin at them i think they are pretty whipped now.

will add a leaf help or am i just prolonging a full replacement.
now keep in mind i haul only my butt and tools 75% of the time...and rarely go off road with the exception of a slow roll thru the woods.
i am not looking to move mountains with the suspension.

any advice is appreciated....i tried searching and found nothing really addressing this type of failure.

thanks guys.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Verno will become famous soon enough

Your spring pack is shot, don't think shackles played a part in the results, plus I don't know if I'd even waste time on aals, even though they would be cheaper than a new set . Jmo.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Thats what i thought....so if i go to a local yard what would be my best bet?
I know you said new...but budget minded...i thought maybe something at the yard that might work from a larger ride.
I have been looking on net and all i find are bastard pack threads.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Verno will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
Thats what i thought....so if i go to a local yard what would be my best bet?
I know you said new...but budget minded...i thought maybe something at the yard that might work from a larger ride.
Yea, then you'll be able to see them with weight on them.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 PM
BF Veteran

Is there any rides that might work for springs besides blazers?
I have found that maybe dakotas or cherokees?
Just need to know options. I am guess the main spring is shot so i cant cheat and build up around it.
I dont really know alot about leafs...but i can tell something is wrong here.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Chuk Rhodes is on a distinguished road

Mine have started to show that happening, not as much as those pics. That was before any lift, so lift doesn't do it. I too have carried tools and equipment in it, a fair bit on service roads (fields and farms).

Old 02-26-2012, 08:16 PM
BF Veteran

also, when i do find the "new" spring packs is there any benefit to combing the two?
i have been reading about "bastard" packs....i am just thinking since i have them apart...mehhh???

Old 02-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

I would even look into getting a new set of leafs through your local drive line/ spring shop. I replaced my leafs at the end on December and paid around $125 per pack. These were a generic pack that they managed to match up, just be sure that the centre pin in the pack is the same distance on the new pack as the OEM as this is how you axel is centred.

Hope this helps you out.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Chuk Rhodes is on a distinguished road

It does seem like the top leaf is a little weak where it becomes the only leaf in the pack. I've been considering similar, essentially add-a-leaf that goes all the way to the bushing end. Almost like taking a second set of top leafs and cutting the bushing end off. I've priced new springs, but they're at the bottom of the list right now.

The only negative effect I can think of is on the shocks, might wear them out faster - possibly moving faster in a shorter distance.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:29 PM
BF Veteran

well i found myself a set of z85 packs for 90 out the door at local yard.
i think i may exp with adding a leaf from old pack to the new to add on before i install it.
i am thinking of either just adding one of the smaller leafs that may have some arch left to them or cutting the eyes off the full length leaf and adding that.

any advice guys???
wasting my time with combining them since old pack is so whipped??

Quick Reply: shackles causing leaf inversion