Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

short or long add-a-leafs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough
Default short or long add-a-leafs?

I'm in the process of ordering some add-a-leafs but superlift has both the long and short add-a-leafs. I'm not sure of which ones I should get. The description for both is the same, what is the difference?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:05 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

My little bit of research showed that short leafs go lower in the spring pack, give a harsher ride, and could potentially make the leaf spring pack curve into an 'S' shape.

Long leafs take some stress off the rest of the leaf pack, go higher in the spring pack, and less chance of misshaping the rest of the spring pack.

I went with the FTS202 from Fabtech but it was more of an intermediate leaf instead of a long leaf. It is 32" long and it goes here:

I'm satisfied with the amount of lift and I don't notice any difference in ride quality. Now my front lift is another story. Definite difference in ride quality.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:15 PM
BF Veteran

well I'm looking to get a little more lift but I'm hoping to increase my ride quality as well with some shorter shackles so it seems if I get the long leaf spring my ride will be better. I'm guessing they both lift about the same thou?

Old 08-18-2010, 12:38 AM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

I have short leafs. They didn't make the ride quality any worse. They just fit on the bottom of the leaf pack, which means you don't have to take the leaf pack apart. This makes them easier to install.

But since you'll do all the work to get everything jacked up and taken apart, go and get some long leafs.

The short leafs don't fit in the pack, so they squeak relentlessly. They also did not add much lift at all. About the width of the leaf springs, 1/2".

Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 AM
BF Veteran

looks like I'll be getting the long ones

Old 09-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Starting Member
dougg01 is on a distinguished road

Mmmmm. What I want most is more rate and only gaining 1/2" or so will be good for me. I prefer to keep the truck mostly level.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:55 PM
BF Veteran

is your rear end sagging? or are you trying to lift the rear?

Old 09-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Starting Member
dougg01 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
is your rear end sagging? or are you trying to lift the rear?
Most of the time everything is okay. Loaded for the trail last weekend with tools, water, food, etc. the rear was sagging some and we got a lot of scrape that at least some of it could be avoided. That's why I don't need much lift. I've got 1.5" tbar and shackle lift now. 2" BL is in the forecast.

Last edited by dougg01; 09-10-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Starting Member
Dbam31 is on a distinguished road

well Benedict, you could also do what I plan on doing, my leafs are goin flat and I was looking at doing the long or short add-a-leafs...but just for a little bit more you could get new or used ones that have more coil still and it would be a long term fix instead of a short term like the long or short add ons, but if you don't. I would recommend the long, I did it on my old jeep in the front and back and got like an inch.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:26 PM
BF Veteran

i got the long ones. Im pretty impressed with the results. 2 inch shackles and add-a-leafs give me the perfect lift

Quick Reply: short or long add-a-leafs?